What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii

Hey all,
I was beginning to wonder how come my veitchii is producing long leaves. the plant is a foot in diameter ( 6 inch leaves) while the pitcher are 4 inches long. should i increase the amount of light? Thanks.

Below are the pictures of the plant:
127-2727_IMG.JPG

127-2728_IMG.JPG

the pitcher (just opened recently)

Oh yeah the plant recieves about 10 hrs of sunlight and it's located in a south facing window.

The production of long, light green leaves and small pitchers is called "etoliation", and comes from insuffucient light.

Your plant does not look like it is suffering from etoliation. Some lowland variants of veitchii can be identified by their longer leaves. Your plant looks quite healthy, and is probably showing normal characteristics.

Hi all:

I thought that the lack of light would cause the leaves to have a dark green colour instead of a light green colour!

Gus

Looks pretty darn healthy to me. What criteria leads you to believe it is making (implied abnormally) long leaves? The pitchers have not increased as much in size in relation to the leaves?

This particular form may never show real tubby pitchers. Although I still think they are not fully mature in their characteristics. Which for N. veitchii seems to be a factor of plant size and age. Appears as the plant has grown at a steady clip. Sometimes it takes a while for the pitchers to catch up when the plant has increased noticeably in diameter.

Tony

My Highland striped x lowand pink veitchii has leaves like that. I think it is just because it has some lowlander genes in it. What kind of veitchii is your plant?

Looks fine to me. My Bareo Highland form is getting enormous leaves on it (relative to when I purchased it). The lowland forms of N. veitchii have much longer leaves in my opinion, longer and somewhat thinner in appearance.

Alright thanks for answering guys.

Gus, kind of right. Dark green leaves are a feature of plants that are native to low light environments. Light green leaves are from plants that are not getting enough light.

Stanhopea,
It's N. Veitchii "Hose Mtn"

I was just curious just due to the fact it's a highland variety.

Back