What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii x lowii unhappy

Hi
I got my N. veitchii x lowii as a small plant about 3 years ago. Its still small and does not seem too happy. The leaves are a very yellow/green colour. More yellow than green and growth seems slow even for one with such parentage.
I currently grow it on the top shelf in my sectioned off part of my highland Neps house. It gets plenty of light with a bit of shading now from my shading paint.
Its been there quite a while and I wonder if moving it might prompt it into better growth? My rajah, villosa, macrophylla etc are all on the floor of this section where it is more shady still and possibly a bit more humid. They all have lush green leaves and are growing steadily. Might this be a better place to grow this species? Where do you grow yours??

cheers

bill

I grow mine in lowland conditions... I just got it recently, but its growing and about to make a trap.

What kind of feeding does it get? Sounds like it's not getting enough food for the amount of light it's receiving. You can try increasing feeding or dropping the light a bit.. or a combination of both ;>
Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ June 09 2004,6:16)]What kind of feeding does it get?  Sounds like it's not getting enough food for the amount of light it's receiving.  You can try increasing feeding or dropping the light a bit.. or a combination of both ;>
Tony
Hi Tony,
I never feed any of my Neps- just let them catch whatevers going!
I am moving it to the more shady floor area of my house to see what happens. It has produced pitchers- one at a time. But growth is slow and as I say the leaves are more yellow than I like.

cheers

bill

Sounds rather strange Bill, N. villosa, N. macrophylla etc. should be far more difficult. Not sure if it came from BE but I've only kept one of these guys on for our own collection and it's been quite vigorous overall. Mature pitchers are large and have the N. veitchi peristome and thick bristles under the lid. It's worth persevering with it! Can you post a photo? Could be a mineral deficiency of some sort perhaps?

See you next week!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Borneo @ June 10 2004,9:40)]Sounds rather strange Bill, N. villosa, N. macrophylla etc. should be far more difficult.  Not sure if it came from BE but I've only kept one of these guys on for our own collection and it's been quite vigorous overall.  Mature pitchers are large and have the N. veitchi peristome and thick bristles under the lid.  It's worth persevering with it!  Can you post a photo?   Could be a mineral deficiency of some sort perhaps?

See you next week!
Hi Rob,
Here are a couple of photos:
N.%20veitchii%20x%20lowii.jpg

And a CU

N.%20veitchii%20x%20lowii%20cu.jpg

Notice the black tinge running down the side. This does not occur the other side.

It is a VXL-13 clone from BE.
I have not repotted it for a while and is still in a mix I no longer use. So I might repot it to my LFS/clay pellet mix. But like to try one thing at a time. Of all my plants I grow anything with veitchi in it seems far slower to develop. While my other more "difficult" plants rocket away!! Go figure??

Alas Rob I can't make it too the ICPS Conference..Grrrr. A combination of other work commitments & finding a suitable plant sitter have put paid to it!!
smile_l_32.gif

Have a great time
smile.gif

cheers

bill

Oh no... I really hate to be the bearer of bad news, but, you need to destroy the plant immediately! I had this same unknown pathogen/virus/whatever that destroyed 5 plants before I was able to contain it. Look a few pages down for the topic: Emergency! I'm terribly sorry, but better one than 2, 3, 4, 5, etc... Just keep an eye on your other plants, too...
confused.gif
smile_h_32.gif

Bill,

If it were mine and I didn't want to throw it out, I'd trim it right back. For starters, thise completely brown leaves wouldn't be benefiting the plant at all and may harbor a disease. Often, something that looks like that is a problem stemming from the roots though, Phythium or Phytopthera perhaps. If there's damage to the roots then how about putting some prey in the pitcher that looks OK. Repotting may help no end.

Not saying that Lithopsman is wrong and you don;t have something contageous that should be thrown away but Neps are fairly resistant to most things if they aren't stressed.

The clone I retained one plant of for my collection here was also clone No. 13 and it's fine. Needs no special requirements so as I know you grow other things well there's probably a disease or severe root damage.

Hi Rob,
I have cleaned up the plant and repotted it. Roots were so so..
I hope it has not got the condition that decimated your plants Lithopsman. But my motto is "Never say die" so I will be keeping it & monitoring the plant (and all my others!)..

cheers

bill

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fly-catchers @ June 12 2004,6:36)]But my motto is "Never say die" so I will be keeping it & monitoring the plant (and all my others!)..
Hi Bill,

I hope your plant listens to your words! Just out of curiosity: Over which period of time did this strange colouration occur? Were the leafes that yellow from the beginning or did they slowly loose their green colouration?

Good luck with this plant!

Cheers Joachim
(Who also won't be able to visist the mmeting in Lyon next week
smile_h_32.gif
)

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Joachim Danz @ June 12 2004,8:00)]Hi Bill,

I hope your plant listens to your words! Just out of curiosity: Over which period of time did this strange colouration occur? Were the leafes that yellow from the beginning or did they slowly loose their green colouration?

Good luck with this plant!

Cheers Joachim
(Who also won't be able to visist the mmeting in Lyon next week
smile_h_32.gif
)
Hi Joachim,
This excessive yellow coloration has really only occured in the last week or so! Through the winter it was growing slowly (as always) but nice & light green. Although I have applied my usual layer of shading paint on the greenhouse roof, I wondered if it was still too bright for it. As it has been far sunnier & hotter over the same time period. It is now with the rajah, villosa etc on the floor of the greenhouse. For some reason though this hybrid has not "clicked" for me and has been a slow developer, but has always produced pitchers.
So fingers crossed...

cheers

bill

Bill,
Sorry for the scare! I realized that I forgot to mention that I did save a few plants by repotting and massive trimming back!
smile.gif

So, best of luck to you and your plant!
smile.gif

~LM~

Back