What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. truncata

lol

BANNED
Ok. I have this truncata that's about 3 feet tall. It isn't too happy with me, as it hasn't pitchered this year. It got attacked by whiteflies numerous times, and it's in a smallish pot. My question is, how far will theese darn things climb before they HAVE TO make a basal shoot? The plant looks like it's starting to lose tugor pressure in it's newest leaves.
Thanks.
smile.gif

Are you sure it's a truncata? They don't vine as far as I know... mine has at least tripled in size in the last year and it's maybe 4 inches taller if that.

they do vine endparenthesis.

i know mine is about 13 inches in diameter and it's rootmass is about the size of a golfball.

If you let the growing point hang below the roots, it will encourage basal shoots.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]If you let the growing point hang below the roots, it will encourage basal shoots.

HA. Hahahahahahahaha
lol
N. truncata's vines is so thick... well your not going to bend it. At all. And yes, very old truncatas do vine. Check out nepenthesaroundthehouse's truncata on his website, and you'll get an idea. I would really like to see a basal shoot though.

Yeah, I guess I wasn't thinking specifically about truncata, now that you mention it.

How about making some cuttings? That will encourage a dormant growth point to start growing and may also stimulate basal shoots. Then you can experiment with your cuttings.

Anyone know how difficult truncata is to root?

When my plants fail to pitcher it is usually an issue of not enough light. I've also heard low humidity causes this problem. What conditions do you grow yours in?

Well, in theory, there is a way to do what srduggins suggested with the growing point, but it would involve tipping the pot (and using something to keep the soil from spilling out) so the growing point is below the soil surface.

Cheers,

Joe

Truncata will produce basal shoots when it's good and ready. It may take some time...

This species strikes easily from cuttings. The hardest part is taking the cuttings, both due to the short internodes and the thickness of the stem.

ONce N. truncata's vine lengthens, which can take many many years, mine has 2 basals and the vine is approx 1.5 feet long...maybe longer now.

Strange. Mine is well over 2' (almost 3' ) . I may actualy take cuttings, but like sydney said, the vine is the thickest of any species, and would be awkward. How much do you think a truncata cutting would sell for
biggrin.gif
?

Back