What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. tobaica.

Hi all!

I recently ran across N. Tobaica plantlets for about 8$ (2 plants per pot)
I'm getting 2, as they are fresh from the nursery and not yet dying from the tap water.
The plants have about 10-15 tiny pitchers each and are like 2-3 inches across.

Could anyone gimme some tips on these lil buggers please?

Thanks /Quensel.

Hey Quensel, pretty easy plant, likes high humidity as the pitchers are fairly flimsy. I have mine planted in pure sphagnum in highland conditions.

It seems to be a weed
smile.gif
I have mine outdoors in lowland condtions, in well compacted garden soil (just the way you shouldn't grow this Nep
smile.gif
) and it's doing fine. It also pitchered during dry season with very low humidity, but the pitchers don't last long then. Although I received my tobaica quite small, it started climbing immediately, so prepare some space!
The other problem harming the pitchers is the quantity/acidity of ants it is capturing, but you wont encounter that problem indoors. Hopefully -
Volker
PS: Make sure your tobaica IS a tobaica, because I saw it offered by some of those Dutch nurseries that label ventratas as alata etc.

Yeah, I was sorta also hoping that it actually is a Tobaica...
The growth rate won't be a problem for me, as i have acres of empty wall space for it to occupy (as long as the mrs. dont throw a fit and mince it)

I also noticed that the pitchers looked extremely thin and brittle, I just hope they'll survive.
confused.gif

Thanks for the info /Quensel

Back