What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.spectabilis..plz help

My Prized Spectabilis was knocked from it's pot and spread around..then baked in the noon sun...It's in pure water right now..I'm going to put what's left of the pot back together..all except for my live spagnum whcih I believe to be gone...

I need help It's lost a lot of it's roots..It had just started recovering from it's last root shock And I was hoping for some pitchers..I'm at a loss and afraid it's going to die..Is there anything I can do?

Jeez, that's pretty bad! If I were you, I'd dip in some superthrive, repot, and LEAVE IT ALONE and hope it recovers. That's pretty much the only advice I have. I know the tendency is to mess with it, but the less you do besides repotting it once, the better.

Capslock

.....yes it is...I need superthrive #### it...the only bottles I've seen are $20

Don't worry about the superthrive. It's debatable whether that stuff does anything anyway. I'd just get it settled as soon as possible.

Capslock

I did..but this was the worst time because I'm out of distilled I had to use tap water to drench my lfs..then flush it with the rest of my water....

-For those who read this and are waiting till it goes up for trade in November...It isn't...I just hope it looks presentable for the BACPS show...(IF it survives) :(-

Super thrive comes in small bottles too. it cost around $5-$7 around here(Nebraska), but as was said, it's debatable whether it helps.
You might want to cut the leaves in half and treat it like a cutting, if you think it's bad enough. Don't do this to the growing tip, of course.

Regards,

Joe

Superthrive is not any different than any other brand of plant hormone liquid/snake oil.
The greenhouses near me sell it in $1.99 to $6.99 size and at a single drop per gallon the $1.99 size will last you practically forever. Especially if you realize it does nothing and start to forget to use it and eventually loose the bottle (like I did). Since it is not a fertilizer but a hormone I do not really see the value of using it.

No magic potion can really lessen the shock to a plant which has been reduced to node/stem cuttings or knocked out of it's pot. These are simply shocking activities to a plant but thankfully they are plastic enough to withstand such treatment.

It's definately gonna take a while to settle in again, I knocked my N. inermis off it's hanging hook and smashed it on the bench in May but now, it's resettled and is making the biggest pitchers it's ever made for me (about twice the size before the accident). If you have good growing conditions then just repot it and alow it to sit unmoved for at least a few months. I wouldn't take it to any plant shows for at least 6 months to a year. Each additional stressor will delay the full recovery of your plant.

Also, you might try watering the soil less (don't let it dry out compeletely-but drier than normal) and misting the leaves more for the first few weeks so that the repotted plant can heal and cauterize its torn roots. If the broken roots are left in wet soil and they aren't allowed to seal themselves off you can be inviting a virus, so water the soil sparingly  for the first few weeks (but keep the plant well hydrated by misting often). I would also suggest using only R/O or distilled water as soon as possible.

Back