What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

n.spathulata x hamata climate question.

Ngantnier

Formerly pond boy
Hi all, I am acquiring a N. spathulata x hamata seedling and it should be here any day now, I can't wait! My question is do you think I should acclimate it to conditions outside here in Omaha, Ne for the warmer months or grow it under lights in my basement? The conditions outside are currently in the lower 80's with lows in the upper 50's, although in the summer it'll be more like low 90's, upper 80's with lows in the low 70's although the humidity would be mice and high, 50-90%. I used to grow adaptable plants such as N.ventricosa, fusca, sanguinea etc. In Missouri with similar conditions when I was younger with great success, but I'm wondering if the hamata in the hybrid will make it more heat sensitive? The other option, and where it will live during the colder months is in my basement, the temps stay a pretty constant 70*f during the warmer months with a dip into the upper 50's/lower 60's in the winter. There isn't much of a temp drop at night but I figure the lights will help with that. Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks-Noah

Personally, I would grow it under strong lights in the basement. Though ventricosa and spathulata hybrids are usually pretty forgiving, I wouldn't tempt fate with anything as nice as a hamata hybrid, and it will certainly grow better in cooler temps. Btw you can always throw a few ice bottles around the plant to get the desired temp drop.

I have had mine for several months now and it is the easiest Nep in the rack. Over winter I moved it to a closed aquarium with 100% humidity in an unheated room at night along with my hamata's and macrophylla. The plant has been growing and producing beautiful pitchers ever since it arrived.....couldn't be happier with the purchase. I will be getting a wine cooler to place the high altitude Neps in and the spath' x hamata will go in with them.
262520_642204162471927_775705603_n.jpg

It came today :) I'm growing it indoors in a 10 gallon tank with a 42 watt and 18 watt CFL on top. I put mylar on all the sides and foil on the lid to maximize the ammt of light available to the plant. I put an old computer fan in there to keep the air circulating, and am keeping the lid slightly opej (about an inch) to allow airflow. The temp is 82 right now with 70% humidity, so I think the drop to 70 or so should be adequate. Pictures to follow.

Love the peristome:
IMAG0116_20130518153405675_zps21b55c25.jpg

The whole plant:
IMAG0119_20130518153532850_zpsdbead17d.jpg

I love how big the pitchers are compared to the rosette:
IMAG0115_20130518153205545_zpsabb584e7.jpg

In its new home:
IMAG0120_20130518171500493_zpsc9839369.jpg

The whole setup:
IMAG0121_20130518171607763_zpsad21f9f5.jpg

please excuse the picture quality, these were taken with my phone.

If you mean the night temperature will drop only down to 70F, that will be too warm for long-term health of a highland hybrid. Aim for 60F.

Ok, I will have to try the ice bottle trick then to lower the temp at night

Back