What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.sibuyanensis,n.truncata

i visited one of the nurseries and bought sibuyanensis & truncata.Upon enquiry the staffs told me its fine so long as i dont bring out of the country. Both are young plant with leaves.

As the pots are small i am carrying out repotting.Question is should i replaced the medium with mediums i collected where neps generally habitat in naturally environment.We are now experiencing hot weather in the tropics,should i place a holder fill with water, place the pot on it.Avoiding the pot in contact with water 3 pieces of porcelain strips were placed on the water holder so the pots were raised.This will constantly replenish the pitchers.Anyone who had tried these? What you use with success?
Thanks

Robert,

I'd avoid growing them in material you've collected. You never know what pathogens are in it, and both sibuyanensis and truncata are Philippino species, so best grown in typical Nepenthes media, sphagnum with some orchid bark, coconut fibre, or whatever mix is easiest to make in your area.

Don't worry about water in trays, just make sure the growing medium stays reasonably moist and they'll be fine. It is safer with Neps to stray to the drier side rather than the wetter side in my opinion. In your climate, drying out won't be too much of an issue. Keeping the sibuyanensis cool enough will be more of a challenge, although it's pretty tolerant.

Hamish,thanks for the tips.Hope to get nice neps some months to come,and get some nice photos:D

Robert,
Please excuse my ignornace. Do you have any trouble getting those kind of potting supplies in your neck of the woods? I would not think so, but you never know..

Cheers,

Joe

Back