What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Sanguinea

I received two baby Sangs today from Sarracenia Northwest. (GREAT guys by the way! Plants are packed EXCELLENTLY!) The babes are only about 3 inches in diameter, but are plentiful of juv pitchers. Anyway, almost immediately after settling in to it's new home, one of the babes made a meal of a curious ant. Within an hour, the lid on the small pitcher CLOSED!? Is this normal? Or is it possibly from the shift in climate? I live in Western Washington, and the nursery is in Portland, about 2 hours away. I don't think the climate is different enough to mention. In fact, it's almost identical. Has anyone ever heard of this happening?

It is the result of a change in its conditions, a small amount of shock. I got one a couple weeks ago from them and the one pitcher did that, is is still closed and green to this day.

Really? Hmm...that's crazy! Well, I hope they survive.

From them I have a sanguinea and a ventricosa. The sanguinea I've had for a month or so. Expect all the pitchers that are on the plant now to probably turn brown (at least thats what mine did) but they immediately start producing pitchers. Mine grows a new leaf almost weekly and each leaf has a pitcher.

You're also right about the guys at Sarrancenia NW, they do a great job. I've gotten all my plants from them. Give it a week, you'll get new pitchers. Mine is already growing them slightly reddish.

Yea they have good plants but they pack too good. It's so hard to get them unpacked.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JMurphy97 @ June 24 2006,6:36)]Yea they have good plants but they pack too good. It's so hard to get them unpacked.
Could be worse... they could use duct tape! Seriously, expect plants that come in the mail, whether through an online place or a forum buddy, to experience some degree of shock. for sundews that will be a loss od dew. For Neps or Cephalotus, it could be a long time before one sees a new pitcher. don't get hung up on the leaves a plant came with, but look for something green to emerge from the center.

yea, this is very true. I bought my raff through online mercher two months ago, and it is just now beginning new growth, despite, what I beleive are very favorable conditions. JimScott knows what he's talking about. Thanks for the advice Jim!

Back