What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rajah x burbidgeae issues.

• Thread starter Bio
  • Start date

Bio

Plant Whisperer
I've been having these issues for some time. The cells at the leaf margin have been dying, and I'm not certain why that's been happening. I thought it might be because of too much water and water on the leaves, so I moved it to a drier spot and if anything it's worse on this newest leaf. I'm out of ideas. It didn't do this last year, and didn't do much over summer.

Let me know if you have any ideas. I could try a repot if necessary, but I wouldn't want to stress it any more if that's not the problem. 20221220_171351.jpg

Had this happen to 3 of my plants and lost 2 before I knew what was going on (one of which being and LVB x VMV 😭). Simply bagging the plant and breathing in the bag every once in a while (to get the humidity up) stoped the leaves from browning and started up new growth again. I don’t know if that’s what’s going on with yours but IMO it sure Looks like it.

Reactions: Bio
I don't know why this has helped, but it did. Newest leaf has been open for a couple weeks now and no sign of death at the edges. If I had to guess, I'd say that this clone really hates water on the leaves, or needs very high humidity because those are the only things I changed, though the bag isn't even closed so I guess it's just water. I'll keep that in mind, although it didn't seem to care last winter so who knows.

Thanks for the tip, I probably wouldn't have figured that out in time.

Interesting! Is the amount of water it's sitting in/water content in media different in the bag than it was before?

For my side of the issue I completely cut down on water for a while. I waited until it was bone dry and then started weaning it on to water again. It seems to be some sort of internal problem since it didn’t work its way up the plant or vice versa. It just kind of attacked if that makes sense. When heliamphora have an imbalance with the mold (naturally) that lives in side them, the mold can take over and in return kill the plant. Neps have a sort fungus/bacteria living inside them in sort of the same way. I wonder if this is the same problem 🤔

Interesting! Is the amount of water it's sitting in/water content in media different in the bag than it was before?
Not really. The only difference is that it's at 90%+ humidity, and I moved it to a sunnier spot, so light and temperatures have gone up. Though I haven't really watered it since it went in the bag, so maybe the substrate is drier now.

But it hasn't been getting water droplets sitting on the leaf, so maybe that's the root cause, or at least a contributing factor.

Back