What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. rajah from a hanging basket

Hey All,

I have a rajah that's getting large and would like to move it to a hanging basket. Other Neps pitcher fine from hanging baskets, but I have no experience growing a rajah from a hanging basket situation. Will it pitcher in this situation or would it be more beneficial to leave it on the table it's growing on and just let the tendrils develop on that substrait. There was a thread a while ago pertaining to Nepenthes pitchering in this type of situation. Some felt that the tendrils needed to wrap around or situated themselves on a substrait before pitchering. My rajah is still in the rosette form although it has a good 10" plus leaf span. Any thoughts with this species?

Joel
Nepenthes Around the House

Hello,

I really thing for good pitcher production they need to be resting on something. From my experience they will still pitcher but the pitchers with be about 30% to 50% smaller. I also think the pitcher have a higher chance of aborting if they are not touching something.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

I have seen photos of rajah in a hangning basket..the pitchers wasent very big.. They where just big enough to fill about a half a liter in it maybe..and the leaves was huge..

I think its better to put good climber neps in a hanging pots and some dont...

Rajah is more or less a sub-shrub growing in the ground. Better off in a pot on the flat I'd think.

Back