What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Predator in trouble

I have my n. predator in a 8in hanging basket. It was in LFS. Well I started to notice that there are something like rust looking spots and then the new leaf (growth) started to turn black and mushy along with some of the older leave. I think the problem is that I had too much water in the tray. I also saw some white dots on the leaves. Nepenthesaroundthehouse.com describes these as mealy bugs. So I repotted it to add some orchid mix and I moved it up closer to the window so it will now get more sun. I also sprayed it with a lot of fungicide. Should I cut off the black mushy steam and or leaves? Will it be ok? What should I do?

If you have those white dots on there, get some Orthene quickly! They are whitefly, and they are hard to get rid of. Really what should be done is this: Make a solution of half alcohol, half water, and a touch of dish soap. Dip a Q-tip in there and manually remove all the white dots you can find. Then douse the plant with a sprayer filled with Orthene (dilluted as per the directions.) Make sure you hit all the lfs on the surface of the pot as well. Repeat the Orthene treatment in 10 days.

If your plant dies, don't worry, I'll make sure you're covered with something similar. I've struggled with whitefly over here, and every now and then, they pop up somewhere again. So it's probably my fault if your plant has them.

Capslock

Should I spray the plant or just pour it in like I would as I would water it?

You could alternate with merit too. I don;t know it orthene is a systemic or not, but Merit is and it should kill whitefly. We will need a picture of the infected are to better tell you if the mushiness is going to affect the plant. More than likely it will. A muchy stem is never a good thing. Might want to try to make a cutting of the top. Basicly decapitate it and try to start a second plant. The main plant should start an offshoot from the side. I recieved a plant that the growth point broke off in transit. The plant is now got 3 growthpoints from offshoots.

Pictures help for diagnosis and better responces to problems.

Here are some pics of the predator. I have this insect spray from schultz that says that it gets rid of whiteflies. Would this be ok or should I get something stronger? I use this stuff for my outside plants whenever I see little clear bugs on the soil.

Photo014.jpg

Photo006.jpg

Photo001.jpg

First things first: get a better camera! LOL!!! The back wall is in perfect focus!

I'd clip off that whole yellowish leaf. Seems to have serious issues.

Based on what I see, all you can do is hit it with the Q-tip to remove the white dots, and use Orthene or other systemic equivalent and hope for the best. It's a reasonably tough plant, so there is hope.

Capslock

Yea the camra sucks that's why I really don't do pics. Plus it's a pain to load them to the comp. I think my phone can take better pics tell you the truth. But I will use the Q-tip thing can cut off the bad leaves. What about the black mushy new steam? I will find something to spray it with. I hope you are right about it having hope and being a tough plant.

You can usually get empty spray cans at supermarkets and drugstores like Walgreens. I'd leave the stem and see what happens for now.

Capslock

I got this 70% alcohol. Is that good enough because they had 91% too.

Yeah, thats fine. Mix it with roughly half water and a drop of dish soap. It's a pain to do this, but believe me, it's worth the extra time and effort to erradicate those buggers before they really take hold. Be thorough! (it's a lot worse to do on 8-10 plants!)

Capslock

Back