What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Peter D'amato cultivation?

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Hey all.

I recently found out about the nepenthes hybrid 'Peter D'amato' and was wondering how difficult it is to care for. I know that it's a cross between lowii and ventricosa and thought that it's ventricosa genes might mean that it's fairly easy to care for. Anyone who grows this hybrid, what's your experience?

I have two plants I grow it in typical HL conditions and its not fussy at all, and its a pretty fast grower too. It gets monthly maxsea, and aside from that I don't do anything special for it.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help, but I looked up the price and found out that it was WAY more expensive than I expected. But it's good to know that they're not picky. Again, thanks.

'Peter D'Amato' is a cultivar, not a x briggsiana variant, and yes, I've never seen it go for less than $200. Most ventricosa hybrids tend to be very hardy no matter the other parent, but intermediate-highland conditions would certainly be best for this cross

I saw one for $154 on eBay and intermediate to highland conditions was what I saw in my research. Thanks for the help, even if it will only be a dream for a while.

didn't realize that Carlton, thanks :), I'll edit my post to avoid confusion.

Yeah I don't understand why they're so expensive considering its fairly easy going and not really that slow to put on size. I've only had mine for about a year and got them as barely rooted cuttings and one is already putting out a basal.

Last edited:
You may want to look for a ventricosa x epiphiata. Very similar and super easy, I got mine for $40 from Ryan Georgia a while back.

- - - Updated - - -

Not as colorful though. But still nice. Mine is an orangeish green color with red markings.

My only neps so far are a ventrata and a death box ventricosa, so I don't mind. I'll look into it. Thanks.

I agree with Ngantnier, get a Ventricosa x Ephippiata instead, a poor man's x Briggsiana and an easier growing one

IMO N. 'Peter D'amato' (in terms of price) is hugely a gimmick when you compare the same amount of capital that you could spend on some way more interesting/valuable genetics as far as Nepenthes are concerned. It's a neat hybrid, but I have never understood why cuttings routinely hit the $100+ mark. It is baffling to me.

Anything with lowii tends to be extra expensive, and beautiful. I agree that it is overpriced. To me a rooted cutting of regular x briggsiana should be around $80 with the 'Peter D'amato' clone going for maybe $120. It is a nicer clone from what I've seen with richer color.

Has anyone seen an upper from ventricosa x ephippiata yet? Or is the cross too new. Mine is just starting to vine and recently threw a basal.

Last edited:
I saw it yesterday, and while you can get most of it in other crosses, it's more of a pride of ownership with the plant than anything objective. It's a fantastic plant to watch, I visit the nursey to check in on it and itll pitcher even in the hottest or coldest months

Back