What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. northiana- intermediate?

Hi
I see that on Exotica Plants web site that the N. northiana is described as being an intermediate. Is this likely? My current small plant yet to pitcher is in my lowland tank.
Having seen Jeffs plant doing so well in lower humidity and them reading this, I think I will give my plant a try in my highland house once spring finally arrives.

cheers

bill

I have killed a whole bunch in highland and intermediate conditions if this helps LOL.

Tony

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ Mar. 04 2005,3:12)]I have killed a whole bunch in highland and intermediate conditions if this helps LOL.

Tony
Oh
smile_k_ani_32.gif

cheers

bill

I do know this, they don't like high light levels and the fact that they grow in limestone is mis-leading to indoor culture people. Mine was fine in lowland until it stayed wet tooo long.

Joe

A little off topic: Is there a highland N. northiana?

Mine northiana's leaves deform if it gets low humidity. Right now its experiencing about 88F in the day and about 82-83 at night with very high humidity. I would say its a true lowlander....

No such thing as a highland form of N. northiana Joe.....unless you wanted one of the pretty hybrid with northiana in it! lol. Mine seems happy in the lowland chamber, but it hasn't pitchered for me...I think the light levels are waaay to high for it, but oh well, its alive, I can't please every plant now!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Mar. 04 2005,7:56)]No such thing as a highland form of N. northiana Joe.....unless you wanted one of the pretty hybrid with northiana in it! lol. Mine seems happy in the lowland chamber, but it hasn't pitchered for me...I think the light levels are waaay to high for it, but oh well, its alive, I can't please every plant now!
how long have you had it? mine is just now pitchering and I've had it for almost a year. I think it took it that long to get acclimated to the intense light (400w MH).

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]I see that on Exotica Plants web site that the N. northiana is described as being an intermediate. Is this likely?

The folks who run Exotica are quite knowledgeable, and grow
excellent plants. However, I must disagree with them here.
Given that they live in Queensland, which is rather tropical,
perhaps their definition of intermediate conditions differs from
the commonly held notion....

In any case, N. northiana is, to the best of my knowledge,
not found at elevations greater than about 500 m, and
therefore quite easily meets the definition of a lowland
Nepenthes. Moreover, my personal experience suggests
that this plant does not do well with cool conditions; in fact,
it seems that poor growth or leaf damage due to overly
intense illumination is the most common problem encountered
by those cultivating it.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (neps @ Mar. 05 2005,1:28)]Moreover, my personal experience suggests
that this plant does not do well with cool conditions; in fact,
it seems that poor growth or leaf damage due to overly
intense illumination is the most common problem encountered
by those cultivating it.
Hi Jeff,

which form of N. northiana do you grow? As far as I remember a discussion with a friend he mentioned there are two different groups of N. northiana. One group grows on the limestone hills shown in Steiner's book and another group grows in the forest with lower light levels.

Sorry can't add experience growing this species.

Joachim

Hi Jess, I've had it for a bit longer than you I think. It DOES pitcher for me, but not like I would prefer it would do for me. Mainly pitchers during the spring and summer, at its peak I would say around late fall.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]which form of N. northiana do you grow?

Hi Joachim,

Unfortunately, I do not have location data for my specimens.
Wish that I did!

Jeff

Back