What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. 'miranda'

FlytrapGurl

apple rings.. what more can i say?
Hey guys, does anybody have experience with N. 'Miranda'? I'm thinking about getting one, and I need to know if I can keep it with my outdoor plants (VFTs and Sarrs), since that's the only place I can keep it (29-gal grow chamber nowhere near big enough). During the summer, day temps can reach 100°F. and night temps are around 70 or 80, high humidity all around. During the winter, humidity is still high with day temps going as low as 40 or as high as 60, and night temps can get down to, at the coldest usual temperature, mid-30s. Freezes and frosts at points throughout the winter, but I usually put the outdoor plants in the garage for those. Full sun all day during the growing season, and if I get the Nep, it could easily hang from the underside of the top shelf on which the other CPs sit. The outdoor CPs get a dormancy from late November to mid-February.

I need to know if N. 'Miranda' will do well in these conditions. Thanks!

I have a N. miranda I bought at Kroger last year... probably from the same tissue culture lab that sourced yours.

IIRC, N. miranda is a highland hybrid.

I grew it outside in the Houston heat last year, in the shade of a tree.

It did OK, but it lost most of its big pitchers, and has been slow to produce new ones.

I am now growing it inside, in normal A/C conditions (ie, not very humid), and it produces 1-2 pitchers at a time.

The 2 varieties of N. coccinea I bought at the same time have been much more prolific pitcherers.

I'd look around and see if they have any other plants. If they have the N. miranda, they very likely have the N. coccinea, and if you can only get one, IMHO, the N. coccinea is easier.

oh geez, be careful they get monstrous!!!

So would N. 'Miranda' not do well outside here?

Size isn't an issue.. if I get it and have it outside hanging from the underside of the top shelf, where my VFTs and Sarrs are, there will be no size restrictions.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ June 07 2005,2:26)]So would N. 'Miranda' not do well outside here?

Size isn't an issue.. if I get it and have it outside hanging from the underside of the top shelf, where my VFTs and Sarrs are, there will be no size restrictions.
It did well enough outside for me, and inside.

It grows slowly, and pitchers rarely, at least in the conditions in which i grow it, and judging by the size and color of the leaves, it is very healthy.

Go for it.

Okay... one more thing: dormancy or no dormancy? And if no dormancy, would it do well outside during the winter with regular watering and sunlight and not be affected by the winter temps?

Since I just found out full sun all day would probably not be good for it, I figure I can rig up a way to hang it from the overhang out back where it would get morning sun. Top-watering with no tray is good, right?

it's a nepenthes, so no dormancy.

you can bring it inside when it get's too cold.

What's "too cold"? What's the minimum temperature it can easily withstand? Also, there's nowhere in this house I can put it where it can hang and get sunlight. Although I could possibly hang it on the screened-in back porch during the day in the coldest parts of the winter and move it to the storage room or garage at night.

"coldest usual temperature, mid-30s. Freezes and frosts at points throughout the winter"

that's definately too cold. i wouldn't go lower than a typical highlander can take or warmer than a typical lowlander. it's really hardy
smile.gif

Okay... so is the notion of hanging it on the screened porch during the day in winter and putting it inside at night sound like a good idea? And would summer be too hot for it?

personally, i don't think summer sounds too hot as long as the air is humid at 100F.

nothing withers nepenthes faster than dry heat.

sounds like a plan to me
smile.gif

Alright! So, here's the entire blueprint, just so I can feel like I know what I'm doing...

During most of the year, hanging outside from the eaves of the back of the house, where it will get morning sun. No tray, watered from overhead. During the winter, hanging from the screened porch during the day, where it will get morning sun. Inside at night.

Now to do some deeper research on Google..

FTG, try looking at Neps Around the House. I think that 100's in the summer should be OK, as long as there's shade and you're good about watering. In the winter, you might want to try just leaving it in the window in a colder part of the house - perhaps the cellar? I don't think that moving it daily would make it very happy.
~Joe

PS - Neps for Everyone is another good one, and Nep University is pretty handy too. Don't forget the Nep FAQ hosted by Barry.

i dont think it would matter much moving it for a few hours.

I was under the impression that Neps did best when left to themselves for the most part. I've had dramatically better growth leaving my plants alone for months at a time and watering only by heavy misting. What worries me is all the warnings about sharp drops in humidity or other harsh climate changes being detrimental to many Neps. But I don't know, I've never tried it. As N. 'Miranda' is a hybrid, it's probably better prepared than most to endure mixed conditions.
~Joe

your correct, but miranda is like a fancy ventrata, basically.

it's practically bomb-proof.

seedjar, there is no cellar, but the whole house is the colder part of the house. We don't heat. But there's no window I can put it in. No room in my room, and in all the other rooms of the house, there's no way I could get it into a window that both has any room at all around it and does not have a curtain or shade on it. This whole house is very inconvenient in the case of most everything.

Thanks for the links, I'll look them over later.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (FlytrapGurl @ June 07 2005,3:43)]Alright! So, here's the entire blueprint, just so I can feel like I know what I'm doing...

During most of the year, hanging outside from the eaves of the back of the house, where it will get morning sun. No tray, watered from overhead. During the winter, hanging from the screened porch during the day, where it will get morning sun. Inside at night.

Now to do some deeper research on Google..
I have a water tray on the N. miranda.

I have found that it is VERY intolerant of letting the soil dry.

If i water it, and let a couple of inches collect in the tray, it does just fine.

I've been growing it that way for a year, with no hint of disease.

*rummages through brain for a way to put a tray on a hanging pot*

Anyhoo, I got the plant yesterday. It's actually two plants in one big hanging pot. Right now I have it hanging on the back porch where it gets no sun, acclimating for a few days. Then I'm actually gonna move it just farther towards the end of the porch where it'll get morning sun through the screen. I'm also gonna find some way to change the hanger on it.. take the plastic short one off and rig up a longer chain one so it's at my eye level so I can tend it easier.

Back