What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. maxima or hybrid?[img

Looking at the photos, it is most likely a hybrid, N. 'Miranda'.
the exact parentage is proprietary information, but a very likely guess would be (maxima x 'Mixta'). N. 'Mixta' is a Victorian hybrid: (maxima x northiana). N. 'Miranda is an easy grower under intermdiate to lowland conditions.

Trent

I was just going to say it looks very much like the miranda I just got from PFT.

looks like the on i have that was labeled 'Miranda'. did the pitcher just open? mines lip looked like that on newly opened traps but would turn a nice blood red after a few days under the bright lights. i split mine on monday and sent the smaller half to Snowyfalcon. hopefully ill either get my pics scanned or Snowy will get his plant so i can get a second opinion on what it is.

Rattler

Thanks everyone for their input. I wasn't sure if it was a N. "Miranda" as the pitchers on my plant didn't seem as pale (or dull) as this picture (I think also has been used for N. "Gentle",

http://www.battlezinc.com/pictures/nmiranda2.jpg

and the wings weren't as dense as this picture.

http://a2.cpimg.com/image/18/74/13447192-07ab-028001E0-.jpg

The pitchers probably were opened for a few days already when I took the pictures. The pitcher are a little darker than shown on the pictures, but not completely blood red.

I would take a picture and post it, Rattler_MT, but the pitcher is starting to turn brown from the top down. It's no longer "Presentable"!
biggrin.gif

SF

PRESENTABLE?!?!?!?! you should have seen it back in November when i got it. poor thing had been severly neglected, granted that ment i picked it up cheap. it didnt have a single pitcher on it, man was i surprised when it put out one of those big traps a month later. i did post a pic up in the Nepenthes Forum, well a link to the pic anyways. good luck with it.

Rattler_MT

trashcan,

Thanks for the link. That's the best Miranda "catalog" picture that I have seen for it. Unfortunately, I can't tell if the wings are very "hairy" as the 2nd bottom-most pitcher is blurry.

--

rattler_mt,

I wasn't able to locate the picture via the search engine.

--

SF,

I promise I won't tell that it's your plant if you do post a picture of it.
smile.gif

Alright, alright, y'all convinced me! I'll get a picture and post it!

wink.gif

SF

Back