What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Maxima 'Borone' Hey Tony...

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
So, Tony was nice enough to send me this plant as a wedding gift.   It was baisicaly my fisrt nep.  I managed to almost kill it, as it only had one partly green leaf.  I called Tony and it turned out I was keeping it way too wet.  So, I started keeping it dryer and sure enough...  I got 3 growth points out of the plant.  This is what it looks like now.  Is it normal for the whole plant to be turning red like this?  Thanks.  
And a special thanks to Tony for this plant!!
here is the whole plant:
nmaximaboroneplant.jpg

here is a close up of one of the MANY pitchers:
nmaximaboronepitcher.jpg

Andrew

Andrew, I think it's safe to say you've rescued it! That is a very healthy looking plant, and yes, the redness is normal. It just means it's getting good light (and a little tan!) Nice work! Whatever you're doing with it, keep doing it!

Capslock

Wow looking really great now! The color is fine. Do you feed it at all? N. maxima responds very well to an occasional snack. It will grow by leaps and bounds now that you have some nice pitchers to toss in a few bugs here and there! Looks like it will also be large enough to start forming more mature looking pitchers soon, although the large flaired peristome won't begin to show itself until the plants reach a pretty good size (18cm+ diameter).
Tony

How does the Borone form vary from the Tlatwiran form in the flaring peristome?
Anyone have a pic of a older Borone pitcher to show?

Malesiana has a picture of the Borone lowland form. Biggest difference is the green/red striped peristome.

Tony

Looking good! in a few years or less, you should have a nice plant like this:

N. maxima 'highland' (Jeff Shafer clone)
maximaclone.JPG

That plant was cloned from Jeff Shafer??
It look nothing like him.....
biggrin.gif

That's pretty much what it looked like when I got it.
sad.gif
but yup, it's on its way back up!!!
Andrew

Hello,
Very nice Adnedarn!! Its a very awesome nep, the color is beautiful!
Kevin

Nice "chomping" flytrap avitar!!!! I can't beleive i used to think that flytraps actually chomped like that when i was younger, probably cause they had this whiskers ad on tv with a flytrap in it. The flytrap was snapping like that one in your avitar, trying to catch a fly, it failed and the cat swatted it, lol.

Thanks Kevin!!
lol@ mexico17forever... thanks. took me a little bit of time to complete that thing...
tounge.gif

Andrew

Back