What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. madagascariensis

Anyone growing this species or have info about it?

Hi Nick,
They are around, but a little hard to find right now. They do well for us here in Florida. As I understand, in the not too distant future they may become much more available. Will let you know when I know.

I am growing some from seed. So far so good but I have heard they can be picky, they like it hot.

If anyone has experience with this plant, I would also like to hear from you.

Thanks
Glenn

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Glenn @ Mar. 09 2005,5:59)]I am growing some from seed. So far so good but I have heard they can be picky, they like it hot.

If anyone has experience with this plant, I would also like to hear from you.

Thanks
Glenn
yea thats what I've read as well yet in some books and sites I've seen it listed as a highlander

Yes, I've chatted with many people in the past about this plant, Jeff most notably and Mike Catalani. It is a true lowland, seemed to do best for me if it was around 70F at night and at least 90 in the day, but probably would have prefered it much more hotter. I've heard that they grow in very wet conditions in the wild as well.

A friend of ours grew a beautiful specimen of mad. in sweltering humidity and heat. Nights were more like 78 F. during the summer, but it did not object to winter night drops down to 58 F. Grows it in pure lfs. It finally reached the top of the greenhouse and flowered (female). I believe he chopped up the vine once the ground shoots started, and threw it away! (not the plant, the old vine)

My one experience with this species was a tiny seedling and it died Lol.

Back