What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. macrophylla after one year of growth

I thought some people might find this interesting

One years growth for N. macrophylla

It was about 2 inches when I first got it
2003-6-16%20050.jpg

Now about 10 inches
N_macrophylla_Plant_5-04.jpg

The pitchers are about 5 to 6 inches
N_macrophylla_5-04.jpg

thanks
-Jeremiah-

WOOT
that plant is showing off with those pitchers
makes my alata look bad  
wink.gif

tounge.gif

laugh.gif

but ill always love it  
biggrin.gif

Very impressive, Jeremiah.

I'm speechless......

Looks very healthy. Are you growing that in your freezer set up?
I would have expected more detail on the peristome .. interesting.

Tony

thanks for all the nice words

Tony
Yeah it is in the freezer grow chamber.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

Jeremiah,

Are you growing it in pure LFS, or is there some orchid bark I can see there?

Aaron.

I am shocked that it grew that much in a year. Excellent job.

Joe

icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Good job on that Mac!
wow.gif
Thats quite an amazing plant.
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

Hello

"Are you growing it in pure LFS, or is there some orchid bark I can see there?"

When I first got it I potted it up into a 2:1:1/2 mix of LFS, orchid bark and Dina rock (Hydroton) nuked for a few minutes.  When I transplanted I left the roots and soil alone and put it in 100% live LFS.

BTW it has not quite been 1 year yet I got it 6-3-03, I just checked my records I was thinking it was May 3rd.

thanks
-Jeremiah-

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Tony Paroubek @ May 04 2004,7:11)]I would have expected more detail on the peristome .. interesting.
Hi Jeremiah,

very impressive growth of your plant, which looks very healthy indeed! The peristome looks very interesting as Tony already mentioned. It'll be interesting to see how it developes when being bigger. The teeth and the width of the peristome resemble N. x Trusmadiensis:

N_trusmadiensis_310304_small.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Uh-oh...I see where Tony and Joachim are going.
I thought those only came from Andreas Wistuba(not that he is the first to collect seed that turned out to be hybrid-and what a hybrid to get!) as one of his two clones of N. macrophylla.

Regards,

Joe

Beautiful plant! Isn't that REALLY fast for a highlander to grow?
rock.gif

By the way, I've heard that mac's don't mind being grown as highlanders (as aposed to ultra-highlanders)...(if you're curious, I read it on the nepethes university site here )

Anyone agree/disagree?

Well I don't want to say too much at this point because it is still a guess. However I have plants half the size which show wider spaced and higher ridges on the peristomes. N. trusmadiensis seedlings about the size Jeremiah has look very much like the picture Joachim posted and from what I can see are very similiar to Jeremiah's plant. If I recall correctly there have been other cases of N. macrophylla from Wistuba coming up as N. trusmadiensis. \

Time will tell...
Tony

Both look very nice to me...

Does anyone grow both trusmadiensis and macrophylla? I'm curious if trusmadiensis is easier to grow...

Pat

[b said:
Quote[/b] (trashcan @ May 04 2004,11:52)]Does anyone grow both trusmadiensis and macrophylla? I'm curious if trusmadiensis is easier to grow...

Pat
Yes and yes

N. trusmadiensis is much easier and grows noticebly quicker (for me anyway).
Tony

I'm going to step in and say: NICE PLANT!! I do agree, though, because my macrophylla is significantly smaller (perhaps 3" diameter) with nearly the same ridge space. But the coloration of those pitchers and leaf structure looks about right... Whatever it is, it's very well grown!
biggrin.gif
smile.gif
cool.gif

Wow thats alot of growth! Spectacular plant!
wow.gif
smile.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Does anyone grow both trusmadiensis and macrophylla? I'm curious if trusmadiensis is easier to grow...

I grow both of them, too, and have pictures of each on my website. I've observed that ridges on the peristome of the hybrid are much smaller and more regular than those on the species. Therefore, I would expect that the ridges on a plant of the size shown would be much more pronounced if it were indeed N. macrophylla. This, together with the rate of growth, lead me to the conclusion that this plant is N. x trusmadiensis.

However, it is a nicely grown specimen, and this is a very nice hybrid to have!

Back