What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.lamii - Anyone Successfully Grow It Yet?

thez_yo

instigator
Has anyone gotten this plant to successfully grow in cultivation? It's one of a few that I'd really like to grow, but have killed enough that I've stopped trying for the time being.

I think Johnny has it. (I could be wrong about that, however).

In the years that this clone has been circulated, I still haven't seen any plants that even begin to approach maturity, or at least show mature characteristics. DonH seems to be doing as good a job as anyone, but everything is relative when talking about this species. There have been a few expeditions to its habitat recently, so I expect other clones will soon circulate that may be better suited for cultivation, at least showing more vigor.

I think if I were to try it again (as I killed my original plant), the information I've read suggests it should be kept in a seemingly oversized, yet shallow, pot, that allows the roots to expand just below the soil surface; many plants in this region don't rely on mycorrhizae for nutrient mining, so the burden of nutrient acquisition often falls to an expanded root system.

Back