What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hirsuta x veitchii. mongo pitcher!

My N. hirsuta x veitchii has gone nuts in my windowsill. This latest pitcher is almost 9" from the bottom to the base of the lid. It's my biggest nepenthes picther to date by far. And what's better, there's a huge vine going five feet up the window that is producing upper pitchers in droves, and are going to be even bigger than this guy:
N_hirsuta_x_veitchi7.sized.jpg

Here's a pic of the lower portion, and obviously, it lives with a red ventricosa:
N_hirsuta_x_veitchi6.sized.jpg

I hoped the summer would bring good growth for these plants, and it has delivered!

Capslock

Nice hirsuta x veitchii, Capslock.

Yes, very cool looking pitcher and healthy looking plants.

I just received my first pure N. hirsuta this week and can really see that half of the parentage in yours.

Aaron.

ooh that's very intersting! i love it!!

do you know if the father veitchii was a lowland or highland clone? i'm assuming it was a highland because the ventricosa isn't a lowlander.

Wow, that looks awesome! I really like the combination of plants you have there, plus the pot looks really cool.

-Ben

Good growing, Caps!

smile_k_ani_32.gif
I'd be carefull near that thing, caps! Wowsers!

WOW! How big was this plant when you got it? When did you get it? Was it cutting, seed, TC, or what? Whatever it is, I gotta get me one!
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif

Thanks!

I got this plant just under a year ago. It was "leftovers" of a guy who brought a bunch of neps over from hawaii for the BACPS show. He didn't sell them all and some of them took some damage on the trip over, so I got a bunch of "reject" neps on the cheap. This is the whole plant as I got it, with no pitchers. As the vine grew, a basal rosette formed, and that's where the lower pitcher came from. It's the third pitcher from this rosette. The vine just kept shooting up, and is now seen in the second photo. Check out the big upper that's opened, too! I'm waiting till it colors up a bit to get a close photo.

8/31/03
N_hirsuta_x_veitchi2.sized.jpg

8/22/04
N_hirsuta_x_veitchi8.sized.jpg

JLAP, I do not know what kind of veitchii is in the parentage. Whatever it is, it's happy growing in intermediate/highland conditions. My temps are about 62-75 degrees.

Capslock

Dang! I remember when you posted that orginal pic, caps! Nice job you've done with it. Very nice indeed.
smile_k_ani_32.gif

speechless-smiley-027.gif
thars a big plant.

Back