What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My N. hirsuta has a flower stalk started but has yet to produce a pitcher. The vine is about 3 feet (a meter) long with 2 dozen leaves. Am I safe in assuming the lack of pitchers is because the plant gets too much fertilizer in the water? This area of my greenhouse has numerous orchids and the Nepenthes gets sprayed with weak fertilizer once or twice a month. I assume the humidity, air movement, and light are correct if the plant is flowering.

That is possible, though I know a grower who uses full strength fertilizer once a month and gets great growth(with pitchers).

Regards,

Joe

Sounds like it is in a vining stage of growth? I have a couple vining Nepenthes that are tempermental about making pitchers despite hundreds of plants around them pitchering. Seems these guys will form a pitcher if the tendrils grab onto something but otherwise they don't.

Tony

We have a N. hirsuta that is a little reluctant to pitcher once the vine gets too long. Luckily, they are frequent ground shoot producers.

Trent

Thanks for the comments. I guess after the flowering is over I will take some cuttings and see if I can get the pitchers going. I love the velvety/hairy nature of this plant and certainly would enjoy seeing pitchers. Mine has a very dark reddish-brown stem with green leaves. Is this the common clone available in the hobby?

Nepgrower,
Your description is typical. There's a number of clones in cultivation. The "vine fuzz" can run from reddish brown to dark purple.

Trent

Back