What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hareliana

I received this plant (sorry no pics of this plant yet) called N. Hareliana from Bruce Lee Bednar and have not found a single piece of literature on it. Anyone heard or know of this plant? What are its parent(s)?
Who made the hybrid and where did it come from (Origin of the hybrid)?

Michael

I have a feeling you're referring to hurrelliana, named after A. Hurrell. It is a Bornean species, intermediate, easy to grow although a bit slow. It has a bit of fusca's pitcher shape with a peristome more like veitchii. I would also venture it's closely related to mollis.

There are good pictures and a write up in C. Clarke & Chi'en Lee's latest book on Neps of Borneo. It is also referred to as N. species B in one of Charles' books. I have pics of it on my website.

Cheers, Hamish

N hurelliana isn't a hybrid, it's a species from Mt Murud and a few other nearby mountains in Borneo.
I got a bunch of pics of it just last week so if you give me a few days I'll put them on my site, and you can see what it will look like.
It's from about 2,200m to 2,500m altitude and likes things fairly shady.

Very nice peristome and sometimes gets the veitchii climbing habit of wrapping itself around tree trunks.

He is not referring to N. hurreliana, but N. x hareliana, a lowland hybrid that I think was created by Bruce Lee Bendar. it's cultivar, "Red Skelton" is featured in the Savage Garden under lowland hybrids. I'm not sure about the parentage.

N. hareliana (1990 Bednar/Bramblett) is N. hachijo x Elaborative Koto.
N. hachijo = N. mirabilis x thorelii
N. Elaborative Koto = N. thorelii x Dyeriana.

N. Dyeriana = N. Dicksoniana x Mixta
N. Mixta = N. maxima x northiana
N. Dicksoniana = N. rafflesiana x veitchii

So, it's really very simple...
smile_m_32.gif

wow, talk about a complex cross, cant wait to see some pics

It would be fun to cross it with more plants :p
Like miranda or hookeriana..

Mr. Bednar and Mr. Bramblett were doing some awesome things back in the day. ...I doubt they ever wasted pollen, lol.

Cheers,

Joe

Thanks Trent,

I should have been more exacting and say that it wasn't N. hurrelliana (wish I could have one!) but received from BLB last year.
Trent, do you have one and do you know what the pitchers would look like? My plant just got established after a while and hasn't made a pitcher yet. lots of healthy leaves and probably pitchering soon.

Thanks again for the breakdown of the parent history, that gives me an idea if I ever get to use it for breeding.

Michael

ps, thanks all for contributing and sharing your thoughts!

M

These were the pitchers that formed on the cultivar 'Red Skelton'

Nepenthes Red Skelton Pitcher Side.jpg

N_Red_Skelton_pitcher_forming.jpg

Nepenthes Red Skelton Lid.jpg

Nepenthes Red Skelton Peristome.jpg

Nepenthes Red Skelton Pitcher Front.jpg

My personal opinion ...Thats one ugly hybrid..
My public opinion...very nice !!

haha
smile_n_32.gif

Here is the first pitcher from this hybrid.  
f2a75311.jpg

Michael

Looks like a mirabilis :p

Back