What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.hamata

I was cruising around the cp web and found an online shop (CpJungle) that sells N.hamata. I was thrilled to see it for $39, but i was shocked that after the shippung, it was $49! Shouldnt shipping be like $5 the most? I understand that USPS raised priority to $3.88, but comon'!

This is a LONG LONG shot, but does anyone know a plce where they sell hamata for $20-$30? Thanks-Zach

Our advice giving pal Tony Paroubeck here sells N. hamatas. I got mine from him and it looked really sweet  with darned HUGE pitchers for the size plant it was. It was not $20 though, I've never seen em that cheap.

Before you get it you must be sure to have cool/cold humid air to feed into the enclsoure at night 50-60*F and 70-80% humidity) or the lids on the hamata will close and the pitchers dry up and turn black. Hamata is very touchy about its humidity. I learned the hard way and lost two of my 4 beautiful hamata pitchers before I got the cooling aparatus working exactly right (with help from Tony).
I use an airconditioner set n a timer to run from midnight til 8am to pump cold air into the enclsoure. a foot before the cold air goes into the enclosure an output hose from an ultrasonic humidoifier mists the air and causes the enclsoures nightime temps and humidity to read 52*-57* and 75-85% humidity.  The cooling setup took some tweaking but now I should be able to grow [/I]most highlanders in here now without doing anything but refilling the humiidfier resivor and paying the electric bill for running the AC all night (at least in summer, we'll see how it goes in fall & winter as I just got my first true highlanders last month).

Good luck!

Go thru Tony and youll have less stress!!! Oh and take a look when CP jungle will be able to ship them I tried to order one a while back along with a clipeata and they never showed a month or so later I gave up.

Long story short dont go thru them unless thats your only hope of getting your dream plant and if thats the case be very very patient and dont bother running to your mailbox every day you're setting yourself up for dissapointment. oh and yeah be expecting to pay extra for 3-4 day shipping that wont show in that amount of time.

Hmm............well not being Mike's minion or anything but I am goign to see him this month at the 27th and the reason he's been not responding to e-mail and such is because all his time is being consumed by the greenhouse renovation. By Aug, he says he should be fully operational. So give him a little slack, he's quite busy right now and has been nice enough to prepare for my visit. But yes the only 4 BIG TIME places I will order Nepenthes from are Michael,Tony,PFT,and D'Amato.
I WILL order/trade form lots of other people, but usually the "Big 4"
smile.gif
have the rarer and more desirable Nepenthes other people cannot obtain readily.

Why are you telling us this NG? Part of being a good nursery is good costumer service. I sent him several e-mails and never got a replie. I suppose every one has different requirements for a good nursery though , but does anyone else feel the same way.

On his webpage he did say i will not be answering e-mail so please call me. At one point he did mention that.

I feel the same way completely.

I feel that it is very unprofessional the way they never sent me an update and posted plants for sale that they didn't even have yet. Especially since Tony was getting N Clipeatas from the same source and those paticular plants are iffy on whether or not its a true blue clipeata which they advertised it to be but never took the time to verify since they never even had it in thier nursery.

I understand that they were moving but when a person puts thier credit card number up in the air with close to a hundred bucks worth of plants on it you expect to get an update at LEAST on what is going on with your plants/order. Not to mention what the heck IS up with them charging so much for postage? Do thier plants weigh more than everybody elses plants?

Ok and as far as calling, Im In WA and I work for a living when I get off work they are closed... I called
wink.gif
I left a message and Im still waiting for them to call me back
tounge.gif

In my opinoin they have NO customer service to even consider bad customer service. I shouldnt have to keep going to thier site for updates or even deal with long distance charges to my phone (Ive paid enough&#33
wink.gif
to find out whats going on. I paid quite dearly for a service and if they cannot provide that service in a timely manner then I will find somebody else who can and understands that customer service is a good part of running a business.

Nep G Im sure that doesnt make them bad people just bad business people. I bet you will have a blast at thier nursery Im sure its a beautiful place with tons of plants Id drool over for days. Heck maybe cephalotus should just have you pick his plants up while your there so he doesn't have to wait so long or pay so much for shipping.
wink.gif
sorry that was a rather snide comment but Im not taking it back
tounge.gif

The shipping is explained on his website - supposedly the price is adjusted for the rarer ones, so that shipping is part of the price of the plant (I can't explain it, but it's on there somewhere). I've had very mixed experiences with his nursery - I ordered twice. However, if you order small plants, such as a N. Hamata, you get VERY small plants - in a small box. I was actually home, but didn't see the mailman, and this box fit into my mailbox - I realised it was there an hour later, and by then, my N. hamata was cooked (the fusca was fine, fortunately.) It never recovered, and was dead by the next day. Of course, after that, I will not be ordering from him again, especially not smaller plants. How hard is it simply to put something in a larger box< like everywhere else? Anyways, sorry about the rant, I'm just bitter.

That's fine Clown, no hard feelings, and yeah I will be bringing a bunch of Neps home, not to mention some Sarrcenia I wanted. And just to say, the plant he has aren't really HIS plants, they are malesiana tropicals/Borneo Exotics and Exotica Plants plants. Not his, so actually the people you should be complaining to are not really him but his suppliers. They are their plants and he just buys and distributes them. So in my opinion he's not really to blame.

Im glad theres no hard feelings its nothing personal Im sure he's a great person and Im sure its an honor to be able to take a stroll thru his greenhouses and see his huge sellection of CPs. If they are in his possesion then they are his in my book even if they are fronted to him
wink.gif

As far as Im concerned he is to blame he shouldnt have offered plants to sell if he doesnt even have them in his possession.

Oh and hey theres no hard feelings here either they just lost a customer no biggie Im sure they wont miss my business heck they havent missed it yet
tounge.gif
Truth be told I never would have gone thru them in the first place had I known I could have ordered from Tony instead.

No hard feelings at all, I have heard much about him that was good,bad,and confused!
biggrin.gif
But yeah, if your not gonna order from him, go for Tony!!!! Tony, has LOTS of nice hard to find Nepenthes up for sale and at great prices!

Back