What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata

Hello everyone,

Has anyone had success growing N. hamata under a standard shoplight fixture (2 40W cool whites)? I'm thinking that this might not be enough light and that I may need to also add a compact flourescent coil bulb. I could also move the plant right up under the lights. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Tom

I grew mine well under 2 tubes of 2 ft cool white and 1 grow light. It also got natural sunlight. It now is much happier with full natural sunlight with 60% shading. A good way to check is if you dont have good peristome coloration it is not getting alot of light. I also noted that the midrib in it's leafes get's purplish in very high lighting.

The brighter the better, but a neat trick is to feel the leaves, and soil surface if they feel warm it's too much light (even though your thermometer may say 75*F the leaf surface can be much warmer. Other than so much light the leaves become warm the more the merrier for most Nepenthes, highlanders especially who seem to prefer growing in somewhat exposed sites on mountainsides.

I grow my hamata under 280 watts of powercompacts and the pitchers are usually 2-4 cm larger than the leaves. I wouldn't bother trying to grow under anything less than 160 watts  of normal florescent (4x 40 watt tubes) and even more light (when it's artificial) is almost always better.

...thank you for the info!...I'll try to increase the light...

Back