What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. hamata progression

Wow, looking fantastic. I've never tried, but it is my understanding N. hamata can be pretty difficult. You seem to be doing a great job with them, they're gorgeous. I really like the picture with the D. adelae, too. What a cool mix of plants.

Woah.....how big are the pitchers on that thing?!? :-O

Oh, that is just...:drool:
Magnificent job.
:love:

Ron... that was beautiful. Thanks for posting! I love those community tanks - are they separate pots of plants with moss all grown in inbetween, or just a big pile of sphag around the N. hamata with various cute dews popping up?

:love:

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are very impressive!
I may try a N. hamata next year, but probably won't have results as good as your plants!

Thanks for all the kind comments. I've always considered my setups to be 'ghetto' - as they are far from ideal ... Some of my reasons for creating this thread were 1) to show the progression of growth (people always ask the question - "How long until ...?"), 2) that it's not as difficult as many people think & 3) you don't need the perfect setup to allow some of these cool plants to prosper...

I may try a N. hamata next year, but probably won't have results as good as your plants!
Wow, looking fantastic. I've never tried, but it is my understanding N. hamata can be pretty difficult.
As I mentioned earlier in the thread, for whatever reason, these plants were not difficult at all. In fact, if everyone's experiences were like mine, I would consider them beginner plants. One of them grew very well in my office terrarium - all seasons (& started with no roots at all). N. jamban & N. aristolochioides have been much more idiosyncratic in their demands - both N. hamata just keep growing through all temps and levels of abuse ...

Woah.....how big are the pitchers on that thing?!? :-O
6-7" to the top of the mouth (for most) - add another 1-1.5" to top of lid.

I love those community tanks - are they separate pots of plants with moss all grown in inbetween, or just a big pile of sphag around the N. hamata with various cute dews popping up?
Typically everything is in a pot. For years, I've put a bed of live LFS in the bottom of each tank - it maintains a healthy level of humidity and acts like a visual hygrometer - letting me know when the air is too dry. I do allow a few non-aggressive plants to inhabit the LFS however. D. prolifera grows better for me as a feral plant than in any pot. In the larger (75 gal) utric tank I set up this summer, their pads are close to a nickel (& imo - look very cool - & happy). A U. humboldtii has also sent an aerial stolon down to establish a beachhead in the LFS - I'm still debating whether I might allow it .... In my office tank, I've also allowed some red D. filiformis to grow in the LFS.

Last edited:
That's a whole lotta N. hamata.. very nice.

Spectacular man!! truly spectacular!! wow!! Very very well grown.

Ooo so toothy! Very impressive specimens.

Some of those pitchers just really show that hamata is (in my mind) technically pretty hideous!

But still.... amazing. love em all, and your set up is great, it is kind of similar to what I am trying to work towards

N. hamata is a species I'd love to try someday when I've got more experience, love the pictures!

My apologies to those who don't like to see an old thread re-used. A bunch of years ago, I raise 2 small AW hamatas. About 6 weeks ago, I received a small SG N. hamata in trade. The SG plant is growing like a weed, has added a new pitcher and is working on another. When I received the SG plant, I thought - wow, that's very different from my two originals. To confirm this, I checked the earlier pics from this thread with a current one of the SG. Here's one of the original AW plants in a 2.5" pot:
Nhamata1-031209RS.jpg

.... and here's the new plant in a larger pot:
Nhamatasg052712RS.jpg

While I cannot gauge it exactly, I suspect that the pitcher on the right (lower pic) is just a bit smaller that the left pitcher (in upper pic). Either way, the differences in proportions between the two were quite striking (to me anyway). I'll be curious to see if they converge over time...

Later edit: main difference I'm attempting to highlight is the ratio of pitcher to leaf blade size -- drastic difference (imho)

Last edited:
Oh wow is that the one I sent you? It's doing amazing! Nice job.

excellent lil plants :D

Thanks
for the update.Iam awaiting my aw clone 1.should be here soon.I hope my hamata grows as good as yours.very nice.thanks for sharing.

Sweet! I noticed a big difference between my AW clone and my seed-grown as well.

Back