What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.hamata,n.macrophylla,n.edwardsiana

Hi !!
I'm thinking about a new Nepenthes to buy before spring.
I'm asking to you wich Nepenthes is more adaptable in quite hard condition (lot of light in summer but low humidity (55-75%), lot of humidity (75-90%) in winter but low light).
between:

Nepenthes hamata
Nepenthes macrophylla
Nepenthes edwardsiana

I know the ideal condition for Nepenthes, but I do experiments to understand how this plants react with the variation of some parameters (soil, light, humidity, etc.).

Kind regards

rajah

Mario,

I am going to take a guess at this. N. edwardsiana is out, because you can't get one at this time. Some plants that are sold in Europe may be called that, but I think there is some confusion because macrophylla is sometimes still called N. edwardisana sub macrophylla. Some people think they are that closely related.
N. macrophylla is probably the most adaptable, because a lot of hamata growers like to grow hamata in live sphagnum because it likes it humid. I think N. hamata is the easiest to obtain at this time. Wistuba has macrophylla(two clones, but one is rumored to possibly be N. x Trusmudiensis-which is macrophylla x lowii).
I only grow hamata, so I am really speculating, but from some people I have talked to, hamata really likes some live sphagnum in the compost, so I am using that as a quality that could be termed "less adaptable."

Regards,

Joe

Hi,

Nepenthes edwardsiana is almost impossible to obtain at the moment. From the remaining options N. macrophylla should be the "harder" species. This is from what I have heard and seen. A friend even cultivated a small N. macrophylla in an appletree outside during summer and autumn here in Germany.

Here is a picture of the plant (sorry for the bad quality, it was after the 2nd European CP meeting and 36 hours without sleeping at midnight and it was raining like mad)

Nep_macrophylla_KK01.jpg

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (The Griffin @ Nov. 26 2002,2:25)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Wistuba has macrophylla(two clones, but one is rumored to possibly be N. x Trusmudiensis-which is macrophylla x lowii).  
 [/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
I would much much fancy a Trusmadiensis rather than a macrophylla! Much more rare and intriguing species!
smile.gif

Macrophylla would be adaptable but hamata could be too, it would grow but most likely NOT pitcher. Hamata's pitchers are very papery (like a Mirabilis) and will crumble under low humdity or extreme temps. On the Edwardsiana, good luck getting one now that is NOT field collected or getting one at all!
wow.gif
Just have to wait for it.
wink.gif

Of the two available species, (hamata and macrophylla)
my experience suggests that hamata is far more tolerant of
high temperatures than macrophylla. The latter is, according
to Clarke, found between 2000 and 2200 m a.s.l.; it is therefore
quite accustomed to very cool conditions, and I have found that
it grows best when overnight lows drop to at least 10 C.

Doesn't (N. villosa) fit in with this group.

Hi !!
Thank for your replies and also for the picture,
I don't put Nepenthes villosa in this group because the aim is to proceed by degrees, if Nepenthes hamata (or macrophylla) react well perhaps I will consider that option in future.
Nepenthes villosa is an "ultra" ultrahighland that reaches 3300m of elevation with night temps of 5°C (41°F). I have only one ultrahighland (less ultra than villosa) is Nepenthes rajah but I have it only by 6 months too little time to say if it is adapted or not.
During summer period it produced pitcher without problems (seven in 4 months) but the size of leves didn't increase a lot. Now in winter it slowed down a bit, the pitchers didn't mature, but the leaves are doubled. It has the same behaviour of all the other Nepenthes in this condition of low light level.Will be Interesting to observe, with the increasing of photoperiod, wich Nepenthes will start before to pitcher.

Kind regards

rajah

Rajah,
in my opinon if you are doing really well w/ rajah growing then the rest should be no problem. i do have a couple of plants that i loss due to reasons i do not know why but none of them have been highlanders all lowlander. the real test is when they get alot bigger like 5-6 years down the road. when they actaully need the cold period at night. from what i understand from reading and what people have told me is that when they are small they can actually go with out the cold period at night for a little time period. so like i said i is when they have matured the full size is when your skills of growing the plants comes into the test.
like u i have purchased a N.villosa to try my skills out on since i feel confadent right now that so far i have don't a desent job
w/ growing rajah.

I thought I would add a thought here.....

N.rajah is indeed an Ultrahighlander but NOTHING like N.villosa,N.lamii or perhaps N.muluensis. Rajah is more heat tolerant than most people think. For an example, remeber the 14 year old rajah Arie photographed? Well i got in contact with the grower through Arie and he told me the plant only recieves 65F at night which isn't that cold at all, and look at how the plant grows and pitchers, but of course it is adapted to the conditions also but you can see Rajah isn't that picky about night temps. And george has said if you're growing a rajah then you could go for a villosa......well you could but I would suggest PREPARE! IMHO, villosa would be an ideal candidate for the plastic baggie in the fridge treatment everynight until it gets large and can no longer fit in among the rest of your food items in there.
smile.gif
Anyways I would more say if you were growing Hamata,Lowii,Lamii,and Muluensis then sure, anyone could say shoot for a Villosa!
smile.gif
But even though you may think I am wrong about rajah being able to withstand warm nightime temps...I am not
wink.gif
so just look at my evidence of it about the 14 year old Rajah. My proof!
smile.gif

Just my $.02

This is slightly off-topic, but given a previous posting, thought
I would add it here.

N. villosa and N. lamii require substantially different growing
conditions than plants such as rajah, lowii, or hamata. To
assume otherwise is something of an error. Don't attempt
the former two merely because of success with the latter
three. Furthermore, although villosa and lamii are more tolerant
of warm temperatures whilst small, it is silly to try to grow them
if you cannot provide the environment they need for the long
term. The conditions which these plants require are difficult for
most growers to provide: 3-5 C at night, and no more than 20 C
during the day. If you cannot at least approximate these
conditions, I suggest that you avoid attempting to cultivate
these species.

Jeff & N.Grac.,

thanks for your comments. i will add to this post and others when i return home

ok with the proper care and with the other tank i have besides the mini-refrig. i can provided the nightly time temp to drop down to (3-5c)40f at night and also keep the temp below (20c) 68-75f during the day. i did hold off on getting the plant untell i get back home. just like i said in a diff. post i guess i just can't keep from them and miss them. but being up here in the panhandle of florida i have learned a little bit more on there growing enviroment and there needs.
also Neps. your web page is always the first to check on the proper care of a highlander. i belive me if i wasn't able to provide what they need why bother the joy of growing them just to see a plant that is suffering. heck everyone has an attitude every now and then

Back