What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. gymnamphora - n. talangensis

Hi,

N. gymnamphora and N. talangensis were some years ago considered to be the same species. From the pictures shown in Clarke's book Nepenthes of Sumatra and Peninsular Malaysia this seems to be somewhat unbelievable, because the pitchers are considerable different. The plant I got labeled N. gymnamphora some years ago is now producing more mature pitchers about 7 cm in height in fact looking indeed similar to N. talangensis.

N. gymnamphora:

N_gymnamphora_010505_A.jpg

N_gymnamphora_010505_B.jpg

N. talangensis:

N_talangensis_010505_A.jpg

N_talangensis_010505_B.jpg

Cheers Joachim

Joachim,

You are right all the way, man. Never understood that comparison, but when I look at your N. gymnamphora, it does look a little similar, doesn't it?
Nice photos!

Cheers,

Joe

Joachim,

It certainly doesn't look anything like my gymnamphora. Yours certainly looks like it could be gymnamphora x talangensis. Then again, knowing the issues with nomenclature and wild seed, it is possible that neither of us have the real deal LOL.

Hamish

Thanks for the great pictures. I was not aware of the previous N. gymnaphora N. talangensis controversy and it seems kind of humorous in retrospect but I could imagine the possible confusion in years past. Your pictures certainly look more like my perception of N. talangensis and not much like my perception of N. gymnaphora. Attractive plant none-the-less. While N. talangensis and gymnamphora both grow (grew?) on Mt. Talang do they overlapp in terms of altitude? Certainly looks like a possible hybrid. I'm curious if the the (what appears to be a possible) talangensis gymnaphora hybrid grows more vigorously in cultivation?

Hi Joachim
Lovely photos as always,They do look similar,the Gymnamphora looks more elongated but colour and shape are pretty much the same.
Bye for now julian

Hi,

ups of course I made a mistake and interchanged N. bongso with N. gymnamphora in my head - of course N. talangensis was supposed to be a form of N. bongso. i think I'm getting old...

N. talangensis grows together with N. gymnamphora and so the chances I got a hybrid of these two species isn't to bad. Although according to Clarke only hybrids with N. inermis have been reported. The plant I grow as N. gymnamphora does not show hybrid vigor, at least under my conditions.

To look not totally dumb here a picture of another plant from Sumatra from my collection:

N_singalana_040505.jpg

N. singalana

Cheers Joachim

Back