What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Gentle questions....

about a week ago I bought a huge nep. at a nursery its leaves are about 14". Well I didn't know what it was when I bought it. It has no pitchers but I think it is a N. gentle, I've come to this conclusion by comparing the leaves. Well I currantly only have the means to provide a lowland environment. So with this supposed N. gentle live "ok" in lowland temps? I'd hate to kill it....

If it can't live thrivingly anyone want to trade?
wink.gif

I keep my N. gentles in a lowland/intermediate (75-85*F days 60-70*F nights) and they are doing fine, they are small yet but doing nicely and pitchering with 10-12 cm pitchers on a 30 cm across plant.

Hope that helps some!

hmm this makes me feel somewhat better.

Since your plants are younger would that make it easier for them to adapt to the higher temps? since my plant is fairly older and larger would it be like "teaching an old dog new tricks" ?

Also how long has your N. gentle been in these conditions?

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Flip_Side_the_Pint @ Mar. 13 2004,05:16)]Since your plants are younger would that make it easier for them to adapt to the higher temps? since my plant is fairly older and larger would it be like "teaching an old dog new tricks" ?
Errmmm...
How "lowland" are we talking here?

Anyway, your plant is geared for a lowland environment as it is. I don't think it needs to learn many new tricks seeing as how you say you can provide it with a lowland environment. Like Swords said, if the temps are a little lower than a normal lowland environment you should be fine.

If you have a mature plant, it may dislike "being taught new tricks." If you are trying to grow it in a chamber that has an environment which is little less humid or a little cooler than the plant should have, you may have a problem. This is commonly the case with people who try to "wean" their plants out of grow-chamber conditions and into windowsill or living room conditions. The plant will be irritated with the change. However, if you do your best to fullfull every ideal environmental condition that you are able to -as in soil, water and watering frequency, and light, the plant will suffer through the "missed conditions" be it temperature or humidity or whatever. Eventually it will become adjusted to it's new environment.

Whatever the case is, it does not sound like you will have a problem.
Oh-another thing- I recently purchased an N.gentle from a garden store (I am sure it came from the same place yours came from. It's the same size and everything) and the plant is growing fine in my tank under intermediate conditions.
Good luck
-Trevor

On another note:
Swords, if you are looking to pick up a few extra N. ventrata, gentle or rafflesiana hybrids, go to Bachmans. They have just revceived a shipment and may continue to stock some more Nepenthes.

The N. gentle I got last July/August as a big burned up and bad looking plant from a place called Franks Nursery and Crafts which I reduced to cuttings and started all new plants.

N. gentle is made of fusca x maxima and maxima is very versatile and fusca is said to be flexible on the temps so I wouldn't worry too much. If your nights are consistently 70*F or higher year round then I would say it could be too warm but 60-70*F seems to do my big lowland & intermediate plants well for the past 2 years or so. Including the N. sanguineas which I wasn't sure about.

Thanks Trevor I'll go take a look! I assume you are speaking of the big Bachmanns on Lyndale Ave. in Richfield? The smaller one by me in Eden Prarie never have anything too interesting for their plant selection.
sad.gif

hey guys thanks for the information and the help/tips. The temps my plants usually experience is 82-88 during the day and 69-75 at night with about 70% humidity. I'm hoping this plant is ok in the mean time. I know someone that wants it so I may just trade it for a lowland....
smile.gif

Hi Everyone,
Here in southeastern Florida we are growing N. 'Gentle' (sold to us as N. 'Corn.Bak') in lowland conditions. It is a little fussy about our summer heat, and pitcher size diminishes from July to October. Once the nights start to cool off again in fall, it rapidly rebounds and consistently produces pitchers six to seven inches in length. Right now they are in their full glory.

Trent
Boca Raton, Florida

Could you show me a large pitcher picture Trent?
rock.gif

I've only seen large dried up brown ones on mine (when I got it) and these tiny 10 - 12 cm ones so far. Do they develop much further in shape/color? Than a fusca pattern/color shaped like a maxima?

Michelle and I are currently working on a website that will have tons of pictures of both our Neps and Sarrs., but unfortunately I can't access them right now.
The little 8 to 10 cm pitchers are what we get during the summer when they are sulking. The larger pitchers are very long and tube-like with a sculpted neck that arcs forward-very fusca-like. The peristome is more flared on larger traps, typical of the maxima group (truncata, veitchii), starting out almost green and then taking on a bronze coloration-no striping. The tubular pitchers are marked with a dark brown pattern, again reminding me of fusca. the lid, however, is too wide for fusca, and is much more maxima-like.
In the Plant ID forum, Jan down in Ft. Lauderdale has a picture of what the larger traps look like.

Trent

We don't have any neps at the Lyndale Bachman's, And I'm surprised to hear that one of our other stores would have them. Which store did you see these at?

Chris

Back