What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. eustachya

I have read that N. eustachya is a good intermediate plant. From what I have seen on other’s web-pages, some grow it under lowland conditions, others in highland. I currently have mine in a lowland set-up of 75F. nights and +85F. days. Are these temperatures too high for it in the long term? Any advise will be welcomed. Thanks!

I was growing mine under hot lowland conditions and the plant lived fine but the pitchers did not last more than one month or two. New ones always developing but old ones always rotted pretty soon after being fed.

Well my plant outgrew the strict lowland chamber so I moved it to my intermediate chamber which goes with whatever temps my house is (plus the metal halide heat during the day). Well the plant grows even faster now and has produced several upper pitchers (the latest is 19 cm high). The other old pitchers last far longer and can be fed many more times when the plant has a nightly drop to 60-70 year round instead of 70-75* which it was getting.

I am growing the red x white form BTW.

Good luck with yours!

Hi all:

I like to compare your growing conditions with mine. I am growing the red and purple form as a highland and it is producing pitchers. It may have stopped now, but i'll keep everybody posted in a month or so. I also notice that the purple X red form does like a bit more shade than most neps.

The red and white form, does not like intermediate conditions at all, because i've had it for 4 months and no pitchers have been produced yet.

Check this link out;

http://agustinfranco.proboards29.com/index.c....5971936

Gus

Nice pic of a small Cephalotus and warning that I can't look at that page but there's nothing about N. eustachya there!
laugh.gif
biggrin.gif

All I can tell you is my plant grows far better and pitchers last much longer in intermediate conditions Days 80-90*F nights 60-70*F than they did in my hot and sweaty lowland chamber where I gow the N. bicals, ampullaria, insignis, clipeata, campanulata, etc. Maybe you have yours in low light? I've never had a problem getting the pitchers on my N. eustachya. But then I also blast mine with 400 watts of metal halide light. The leaves are covered with a thick waxy substance that I can scrape off with my fingernail. The leaves don't color up at all but they turn sort of bluish from this waxy coating. Maybe that kind of lighting abuse helps promote pitchering? Now I saw today that I've got some basal shoots on this meter + vine so maybe a flower spike someday soon as well!

I have the Exotica Plants (Australia) 'E' form which is red x purple.

Being Winter here right now my conditions are more highland although I do aim for intermedtiate all year round.  Not the fastest grower I would say that mine prefers the slightly cooler temps

The plant was a bit slow to settle in and threw a few small leaves while establishing but is now producing larger and nicer formed leaves and pitchers.

Few pics:

NeustachyaPlant.jpg

NeustachyaPitcher2.jpg

NeustachyaPitcher1.jpg

Aaron.

eww swords? is that like nectar?

i wonder what would happen if you ate enough of it...

No, the waxy coating on the leaves isn't sticky or nectar like. It's just like the wax that comes out from cactuses and succulents who exude wax in high light situations.

I like to see that wax cos then it gives me pitchers like this:
eustachya3.jpg

(18 cm upper pitcher of red x white)

Very nice Josh.

FWIW, I've not noticed any wax on the leaves of mine at all. Could it be that it is something to do with a more mature plant? Maybe one that is vining?

Aaron.

My N. eustachya had a waxy exudate on the leaves even when it was small.

How much light do you have yours under?

All those forms could very well be from the same place as all different colours grow mixed together in the area around Kelok Sembilan. Light doesn't seem to have much to do with the colouring: there are huge white ones in full sun and dark red in the shade. I am inclined to think the colouring is genetic rather than anything to do with light.

All are in intermediate conditions, at about 800 to 900m.

Cheers, Troy.

Hi all,
We are growing five of the (red x purple) seedlings very sucessfully here in hot, muggy south Florida. Conditions are lowland. They get very strong morning light, a bit more shade during the heat of the day. Over night lows are probably closer to 75 F. We'll see how they do over the course of the summer.
Trent

I have a few different color forms. None seem to appreciate the Winter months when temps are colder. I would certainly consider them lowland/intermediate.
Tony

Jaosh,

With reagrds to the wax and light... Mine is in a glasshouse with a layer of thin bubblewrap. IF the sun is out it is getting about 5-6 hours direct light (Winter and short days).

Has anyone else experienced this waxy coating?

Aaron

Back