What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.coccinea

I got this plant 3 weeks ago. It looks like it never had pitchers on it. Heres a pic taken the day I got it.
The plant is hanging outside where it gets a couple hours of direct sun in the morning.
new%20nep%20coccinea99RS.JPG

I have 3 other neps, all highlanders, that are growing great.
Temps are in the upper 80's during the day, getting down to about 60 at night. Is that too cold for a lowlander?
Humidity is kind of low right now, about 45% but it is usually between 60 and 80%. I mist the plant with distilled H2O 3 times a day.
Heres a pic taken tonight. It doesn't seem to be doing anything.
n.coccinea%202%20rs.JPG

I am thinking about putting it in the windowsill cause the room temp only drops to about 75 or so at night.
Any tips? I really would like to see this plant thrive.

Sounds good. Just give it time to adjust and I`m sure it`ll jump right back in no time! # weeks is a miniscule amount of time 3 months would be more like it.

The warmer and more humid, the better. This plant does not tolerate low humidity well, from what I have heard.

Joe

I think its the humidity you need to worry about, not temperature. I have mine in my lowland tank and i turn on the A/C at night the room gets down to 65 degrees sometimes, but its growing like crazy.

Hello,

Your plant looks like a smaller version of the one I got at Dominion (the grocery store in Canada) several months ago. Most of the pichers had dried out at the  store and the last few died the first week when I got it home.  It kept growing for me in a window but would not pitcher. I moved into my grow room  with which has higher humidity between 60-70% humidity and after about 2 1/2 months it is finally pitchering. I think they must just be slow to acclimatize.

Andre

Sounds like my story. I bought this plant (along with N.gracilis) at a nursery 8mo ago and hung it by a window below an overhang (medium light, humidity 50-70%, T=70-80F). It was quiet for a while then it began forming new leaves and pitchering after 3-4mo. It's now growing very fast. Sounds like yours is doing the same thing.

IMHO, these are great plants that are perfect for beginners (at least me) and got me interested in the world of CPs.

Well the plant has been hanging in the window for 2 months now.
Here it is now.
coccinea%2011-22rs.JPG

This pitcher opened a couple of weeks ago. The side facing the window is almost solid red.
1st%20coccinea%20pitcher%2011-22rs.JPG

This one opened about 4 or 5 days ago.
2nd%20coccinea%20pitcher%2011-22rs.JPG

Both pitchers are about 2 1/2 inches long. There is another on the other side of the plant still developing. This plant is growing as fast as my ventricosa. I wish my sanguinea would start growing like that.....

Ron,
May I suggest that you get a larger pot prepared to transplant it into.  
smile.gif

I had the same situation.  I hung my scraggly little guy outside (South Florida) in bright shade and it didn't do anything but cling to life for three months...then one pitcher...then two...and one year later it was well over thirty inches.  I transplanted it into a 16" pot and have now had to move it under my cypress tree because it is so large...at least twenty pitchers.

Most of my pitchers are in the 5/6 inch range.  The plant itself gets very large.

Nepenthes can take a looooonnnnnng time to adjust. I have a N. Maxima, i've had it for about 4-5 months now, and i have only one new leaf, with another forming, and i can see faster growth so i know the conditions are correct.

Back