What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N.bicalcarata - What media?

Cindy

Staff member
This fella is threatening to take over a certain corner of my balcony.  
smile_m_32.gif
 So in preparation for repotting it, what media should I use? Currently it is in LFS/perlite mix in an 8-inch pot.

Am I right to think that I will probably need a more airy mix with the larger pot?

Here's a pix of its largest pitcher.
bical_4halfinch3.jpg

Nice plant you have there Cindy! As far as repotting it goes, I'd stick to the substrate that works for you now (which is clearly apparent!). I wouldn't risk experimenting on such a well established plant - leave the suffering to the runts!
smile_n_32.gif

Cheers

Amori is right. The bigger the plant the harder they fall. We grow our bicalcaratas in lfs, including plants in ten gallon pots and larger. Bicals really suck up the water and have huge root systems. We have never had a too wet situation with them.

cindy i agreed with amori.I had done repotting and add more of the same type of substrate
smile.gif
Nice bical u have but watch out, the leaves are long and huge.

..Robert

An excellent mix for bicalcaratas is Long-fibered sphagnum, one part peat and one part sand. Mostly for a good number of Nepenthes L.F.S is great, but i do believe bicalcaratas as well ampullarias do enjoy more of a peat/l.f.s mix. Good luck to you.

Drew Mcclain

Pure LFS...I need to repot mine soon...and ideas for a 3 foot leaf spanned bical!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

[b said:
Quote[/b] (nepenthes gracilis @ Dec. 01 2005,10:49)]Pure LFS...I need to repot mine soon...and ideas for a 3 foot leaf spanned bical!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif
smile_k_ani_32.gif

3 feet, eh? I have an idea - Send it to me. I'l have it down to 8" in no time!
smile_m_32.gif

Ours in pure lfs have five foot leaf spans, lower pitchers the size of grapefruit.
As a note, our lfs is not the expensive stuff from New Zealand, but the cheapo Wisconsin sphag we get in four cubic foot bales. Neps don't care.

As Trent mentioned above, I've found Wisconsin LFS to be less "fleshy" and more twiggy and airy - great for drainage in my experience.

Cheers

Mine's the fleshy LFS from New Zealand. Expensive but my collection is small at the moment so it is alright. I have used cheaper LFS from China before but it was full of twigs with thorns and I dislike handling it. Besides, it grew tons of algae and other stuff while I have live sphagnum regenerating from the NZ one.

Thanks for all the input. I'm probably going to try to bend the plant over like what Trent suggested in another thread. I love lowers.
smile_m_32.gif

Back