What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. bicalcarata seeds from pyro

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
I wanted to post this earlier in the week.
How are the N. bicalcarata seeds that Pyro was kind enough to send out germinating for everyone?
I just checked my seeds close again tonight, and I see one out of the 25 or so I planted starting to grow.

Nooooo, mine won't germinate!
confused.gif
What are the conditions needed for your germination (that yours are in), and how long does it take for bical seed to germinate? Its just sitting there, looking like ordinary coconut fibre and blending in with the real coconut fibre...
biggrin.gif
smile_n_32.gif

Jason, patience! I sowed mine on June 6th, and nothing yet, but that's no problem. 30 days would be pretty fast, and that's up tomorrow. So I hope to see some sprouts some time in the next month.

These are my first nep seeds that I've ever tried. Like I said I was surprised to see that 1 has sprouted. I guess this one want to get the jump on all the others.
I have about 12 seeds in each of the 2 pots with equal parts of LFS, Perlite, and Peat moss, in 2 different locations. The one in front of the siding glass door is the pot that has the sprout. It get some direct sunlight for a very short period of time each day. I have a clear doom over the pot, not completely sealed so fresh air can get in.
The other pot is in a dimmer area, but warmer. The pot sits on a shelf above lights for my terrarium. I have not clecked it for about a week to see what's going on.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ June 01 2004,6:10)]Jason, patience!  I sowed mine on June 6th, and nothing yet, but that's no problem.  30 days would be pretty fast, and that's up tomorrow.  So I hope to see some sprouts some time in the next month.
uh oh... another time warp here?
smile_k_ani_32.gif
It's only June 1!

mine didnt sprout yet but i am patiently waiting.
smile.gif

Spectabilis73,
It did not reqister that he put down June 6th.
smile_n_32.gif

Here's the picture of it sprouting.
133nepseed.jpg

cool! take pics as it increases in size and gets more developed leaves
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Er....MAY 6th...Thanks Spec....

Well since I only had 1 out of 24 seeds start to grow, I planted another 15 seeds 2 weeks ago. Placed these in my terrarium which will be warmer then the other places I tried. Maybe I'll get another seed to germinate.
Anyone else having any germinate?

Here's a new picture of this monster, after around 2 months since the first picture. Pencil included to show the size. It now has 2 pitchers. The fangs are huge on this plant. I think it has dust mites shaking in there shoes.
smile_n_32.gif

133nbic.jpg

My N. stenophylla seeds are starting to sprout. I sowed them on 7/01/04 and have 4 N. stenophylla sprouts already. So I call that fast!

Keep it up elgecko
smile.gif

Now youll have to types of ferocious and scary lookin neps

Your hamata and now your bical
smile.gif
smile_m_32.gif

You should create a new thread and keep us posted

It would be so cool to see the progression
smile.gif

elgecko, I think bicals grow conciderably faster than that. A three year old Bical should get getting formidable.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (schloaty @ Aug. 09 2004,9:43)]elgecko, I think bicals grow conciderably faster than that. A three year old Bical should get getting formidable.
I hope so. Everything I've read about them says they grow incredibly fast.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (elgecko @ Aug. 09 2004,6:34)]
I think it will take many years before the N. bicalcarata is going to be a scary looking plant.
The ICPS has a picture of one that's 3 years old, and it's tiny.
http://www.carnivorousplants.org/seedbank/species/Nepenthes.htm
I must really that I like the ICPS seedbank page BUT the nepenthes are all really on the small side. I grew some species from seed and used fertiliser on some of them leaving the rest without. All plants look much bigger than those on the ICPS webpage.

Of course it depends on the species, soil, light and so on but I think with some care and good conditions you will see typical pitchers of most nepenthes after 3 years. My 1,5 year old N. alatas look bigger than those 3 year old N. ventricosas on that webpage!!!

Even the rare highland species show adult pitchers after 3-4 years (if kept cool).

Jan

Back