What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. argentii

schloaty

Staff member
Hey everyone, my argetii just came in the mail. It was shipped potted, which was a nice surprise. Anyway, I read on CPjungle/nepenthes University that this species should be put in a WIDE pot so the tendrils could reach into the medium, otherwise pitchers would not develop. Is this really true, or will the bud swell without first burrowing?

You could always put the pot in the middle of your other pots to do some tendril/pot sharing... Just my $0.02

I do the pot within a pot thing. Plant your argentii in a pot just big enough for it alone, then put this pot in a larger pot filled with spahgnum.

Excellent ideas. Thanks guys.

Just wondering how your N. argentii is getting on? We don't find that the tendrils need to burrow in order for pitchers to form. We grow them in 3" dia. pots and the tendrils hang down the outside of the posts with pitchres forming as with most other Neps.

Hi all:

Believe it or not, i wanted to raise this point many months ago. I have a couple of small argentii and these love warm weather. Again, typical of the philippines species. In Winter, they don't pitcher, while other highlands do.

I also wanted to say that I agree with Rob 300%.

Here  is the proof:

argentii1.jpg

argentii2.jpg

Does that mean it will grow well as an intermediate?

Joe

Hi all:

Griffin: In the short amount of time i have spent with this plant, around 9 months, seems to indicate that it loves intermediate conditions better than highland ones. It was pitchering here in Australia until the winter months came. Naturally, the true highlands started to produce more pitchers in winter.

Maybe Tony or Rob can give us more advice on how to grow it. it is a tiny species of Nepenthes and i guess it may not get bigger any time soon.

Gus

Rob probably has the best grasp on what kind of conditions the plant sees in nature.  From my experience I would say that warm days are fine but it still needs to be fairly chilly at night.  Below what I would call intermediate anyway.

I am curious to what your day/night temps are during your Winter months Gus?
I used to run my Winter temperatures fairly chilly (low 60s) during the day as well as at night (mid 50s).  The highland plants did not like it!  (the intermediate and lowlands absolutely hated it)  Now during the Winter I have the heaters run up to the mid-high 70s during the day.  When the sun is out it is even warmer.  All my plants, except the lowland plants in the heated chamber, do much much better when the day temperature is warm followed by a significant drop at night on a year round basis.

Rob, it appears to be doing ok so far. No pitcher developement yet, but the old ones that it had (like 5mm tall, lol) haven't died off, so I guess that's a good sign. There are no signs of stress yet, and I am currently experiencing day temps in the high 70's to low 80's with night temps in the low 60's/high 50's. I've been blessed (some would say cursed, but not us nep growers) with very high humidity lately.

But since this plant just made a cross county trip in a little brown box, I'd say it may be a while yet before it really settles in.

I forgot that you've only just received it. It'll only just be recovering from shipping stress and wondering where on earth it is.

We've finally got to grips with growing this species thanks to Diana's green thumb(s). It likes a night-time temp low a bit less than you are giving it at present, but the mistake we made is that it should be treated as an eppiphyte, i.e. allowed to get very wet and then nearly dry again before rewatering. In habitat, the little media around the roots dries out nearly entirely from time-to-time. Keeping it very wet continuously is bad. However, I don't know where your plant came from and whether it was already well established or not but it probably needs time to settle in and establish roots before trying any wet-dry cycle.

It's defintiely one of the most challenging Nepenthes to grow well. Ultra-highlanders are a problem too, we all know that part of the trick for them is low night-time temps but I think N. argentii has it's own set of rules.

Good luck!

smile.gif

Hi all:

Regarding your question Tony, the argentii was doing well when the daytime temperatures were reaching low 80's and the night time temperatures only the low 70's. Then all the plants produced pitchers in almost every leaf.

As soon as the daytime temperatures reached the high 60's and the night time temperatures reached the high 50's, the plant stopped pitchering altogether. Humidity was at least 85% at all times and they had plenty of light: Terrarium

Gus

Sounds like a similar situation to what I have seen...
The problem not that your Winter nights are in the 50's but that the days are not warm enough. I think if you could warm up your day temp. during the Winter to at least around the high 70's you would find they would do equally well if not better than during the Summer when the night is too warm IMO.

Tony

Griffin: I've been growing my argentii outdoors for maybe 3 years now I guess. My temps average 70's during the day, 50's at night during summer and 60's day / 40's night in winter and does fine. Argentii does slow down for me in winter, but so do all my other outdoor Neps. It's in a larger than normal pot for the same reason you were thinking with the burrowing pitcher action. However my argentii is doing what Agustin's does, it pitchers right on top of the moss or over the side. Doesn't seem to effect it. This little guy seems to be pretty hardy! No problems with pitcher development, leaf curl or humidity that some of my other Neps experience adapting to my outdoor conditions. Enjoy your little guy!

Joel

Joel,

What is the job market like where you live?

smile_n_32.gif

Thanks Tony for your suggestions!. In addition, let's not forget how the philippino species behave: argentii, ventricosa, copelandii, truncata. they don't seem to fall into a strict group of nepenthes based on highland-lowland rules. Except for sibuyanensis.

Gus

Back