What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Myths, legends, paranormal, supernatural, etc.

I was watching "is it real" and "naked science" in the nat. geo. channel, and they were about telepathy. It was very interesting.
(animal planet and the discovery channel have lost almost all my respect... they suck now)
So I was wondering what you all thought about the supernatural (religion aside), myths, legends, etc. like bigfoot, loch ness monster, telepathy (animal psychics, twins, etc), UFOs, etc.
Personally I'm extremely skeptical about things like ghosts, alien abductions, etc. But I'm just mildly skeptical about bigfoot, and even telepathy... In naked science (and some history channel thing that I don't really trust) they had a vietnam war vet who had been in project stargate (project by the military that involved remote viewers) and had been given a medal or something supposedly for his remote viewing abilities (he said he remotely viewed the location for the largest submarine built... by the russians)
they also did some experiments which aren't 100% conclusive but they did show some very interesting things.
anyway, what do you all think?

Bigfoot - Could be possible, but you'd think someone would have gotten clear close-up pictures/video by now..

Loch ness - don't think that loch ness is large enough to support 1 or more creatures that large.

UFO's/Aliens - I would think that there is life on other planets. With Billions and billions of stars with even more planets I find it hard to believe that life formed only on this planet. However I am not convinced that any of them visit our planet. The one factor that makes me think that they might have at some point in time, is that identical pyramids where built in south america and the middle east in around the same time.

Ghosts/spirits - Hmm, alot of my step mom's family are pastors or married to pastors, etc. They all have a strong belief in spirits. I think I'd need some science that could back it up..

well, not myths or legends of course.

i do believe in the paranormal. i've consiously astral projected many times.

Astral projected? interesting. A lot of my family believes in it, my brother and my aunt saying they've done it... but I can't even meditate LOL. When my mom used to get tired of me, she would ask me if I wanted to meditate... which meant I'd go to sleep. That hasn't changed.
I'm very skeptical about it. I think that if you want it bad enough you'll just dream it.
Have you ever shared an astral projection experience with someone else?

I am a philosophical naturalist... if it can't be detected, observed, measured, whatever, by repeatable, objective standards, then it doesn't exist.

SarraceniaScott: Do you believe in Love? :p Science can't measure that!! ;)

Doesn't lake loch ness have channels that lead to the ocean? Nessie could use those. There's also a swamp called the Likouala Swamp in Africa that is about 55,000 square miles, there must be something there at least, like about 1,000 mosquiotes per hour
smile_n_32.gif

I agree with SarraceniaScott, althrough nostradamus's predictions are kinda creepy, but nothing but vague guesses and coincidences :p .

Aliens? Thats one thing I do believe or at least really want to be true. I don't think they visited us though since they are likely to make a big deal out of it; friendly or not. Zongyi

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Do you believe in Love? :p Science can't measure that!! ;)
you can experience it, you can see what hormones cause it (and other physiological causes/effects) , you can observe it on other people, etc. so you know love exists.... sure, you can't MEASURE love to any real degree, but you know it exists.
There's also evidence for bigfoot, the loch ness monster, telepathy, etc. It may not be very convincing evidence, but it's there... there are videos, footprints, lab experiments that suggest some telepathy, etc.
It just depends on how much of that evidence you have to have to believe.

Back