What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery threads

trashcan

O:-)
Hi,

I just came back from vacation. I found some silver thread-like strands on my plants, and some on the sphagnum. I'm not quite sure what it is. If anyone has any ideas, please share!

P1010015.sized.jpg

Also, there are a few (and will be more) new pictures in the gallery of my plants. http://www.cpforums.org/gallery/myplants

Happy new year's eve!

Looks like some kind of spider visited your plants. I had similar webbing that had no distinct web shape around my Nepenthes this last summer. No detrimental effects were noticed. I just cleaned it up where ever I saw it.

SF

Maybe the Nep fairies are celebrating the New Year and that's tinsel?

I hate to be so crude, but it looks just like some fiber settled on the plants from the air.

lol , i hope your not lusing your hair trashcan , lol , j/k , i used to get that , i believe its is cats hair , any cats around you lately
rock.gif

Dustin, it's on most of my plants, and mostly on the pitchers and growing points. There is very little on the sphagnum (where I think most would settle if it just fell in), but I took a picture of it because it was the largest clump. It might be cat hair, my friend at the pet shop took care of it while I was gone. Not sure how it would get in a sealed terrarium though.

Hmm, try picking it off and rubbing it between your fingers? Does it disintigrate? Maybe it's just the start of some fungus?

Nope, didn't disintegrate. I think he only plausible explanation was suggested by fatboy.. So HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!
smile.gif

Happy New Year Pat!

My other suggestion was vapour trails from tiny fairy jets as they rush off on New Year Holidays
tounge.gif

Troys future book: "The wonders of Nepenthes fairy trails"
laugh.gif

ROFL! That is hair! Looks EXACTLY like mine when it finds it way into the tanks... your freind a blond?

Back