What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery species

Finch

Whats it to ya?
I just found a strage seedling specimen of sundew in my very limited collection. I never notriced it before. it looks alot different from all the others there.

Well i cant post a pic here cause of my camera, but i can give a illistration f what this very small seedling looks like

Its a single leaf on a small stalk> the single leaf is a narrow U shape with the stalk at the base of the U.

Like so:

|____|  <----  Leaf
         |
         | <--- stalk  
         |

This one leaf has  long tentecles, and it seems fully expanded, with all tentecles splayed out ready for bugs. The tentecles move rather quickly. Im not certain where the growth point is, because the stalk comes directly from the ground. Prey is pulled in to the bottom of the leaf, the top side of the base of the U.

Any guesses? because i have no clue.

sounds like what i believe or D. binata complex seedlings in my G. filliformis pot. ill get a pic sometime this week and you can tell me if we have the same lil plant

That sure looks like you are describing a D. binata. Same thing happened to me in January - from a Nepenthes hanging basket.

it does? Do you think so?

Drat! i dont have a terrarium big enough. I suppose it needs its own pot to so i can overwinter it in the fridge...

Yay
smilie4.gif

It depend upon which D.binata it is. There are both temperate and tropical forms of binata.
But Both should be fine without dormacy. And both can take dormacy.

Back