What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mystery Pitcher

Hi Everyone , I am new and hoping someone can help me identify my pitcher plant. I bought it on my birthday about a week ago, and it didnt have a price so i asked how much and they gave it to me for £5 ($10) which seems very cheap for such a huge plant,
the label says nepenthes rebecca, but it seems unlike the others i have seen, any ideas?

bill.jpg

DSCF0882.jpg

Welcome to terraforums.

It looks like a hybrid called N. 'Gentle' aka N. 'Velvet' which could be N. fusca x N. maxima.

You got really good deal in my opinion and you could take lots of two node cuttings.

Woah. Nice steal. That thing is unruly. How many growth points are there? Five? Six?!

Do the pitchers have that kind of fuzzy look over the body of the pitcher or is it something to do with the camera? I have a N. 'Lady Pauline' that does the same thing under camera and I can't figure out what it is.

xvart.

It could be one of the N. maxima forms from Sulawesi or New Guinea/Paupa area; the pitchers are very close to N. fusca, but the leaves are almost pure N. maxima. - Rich

The Sulawesi maxima is very distinct because it has leaves that are ruffled like lasagna noodles so I am going to say it ain't that.

I agree to the thought that it is Gentle or Velvet. Although I do think there is a Nep called Rebecca something or other so you might want to try googling that and see what it pulls up...

There is a nepenthes named Rebeca( ? sp) Soper. that comes from England. But in the right light gets as near to black as I have seen in a nepenthes.
One has been at Cal Carn x 4yrs and barely sent out any vines .
Rebeca was a relative of Juthatip Soper for whom a beautiful sarracenia is named

Congrats, you made an extremely gr8 score( deal) on that beautiful plant.
Lois

The Sulawesi maxima is very distinct because it has leaves that are ruffled like lasagna noodles so I am going to say it ain't that.

Only ONE isolated form develops these undulated leaf margins; there are dozens more scattered all throughout Sulawesi, some miniature, near Lake Poso, and many others. - Rich

Wow thank you all so much, how informative and interesting!!
I came to the right place clearly! You all know so much!
How can i best care for it because i should hate for it to get sick,
it already has about 6 quite big yellowing leaves- should i remove them?
It has pitchers growing on almost every tendrill and leaf- except the yellow ones
When i bought it , it only had one open and functioning pitcher, which was pretty small compared to the new ones and beginning to turn brown at withered at the top, since i have brought it home one of the new pitchers has formed and opened, the other is nearly ready, and they are both a good 10 cm, they do seem "furry" there are around about 5 more which are 5cm and still forming and on the rest of the leaves there are tiny ones growing, it has lots of tendrills - its fantastic
Thanks again for all your helpful words :)

Back