What's new

Mystery Drosera

This little guy came to me in a pot of D. spathulata last year. I have a few guesses, and I've had a few people give me different answers. I want to see what you guys have to say.

DSCF3953_zps7b5a6a5a.jpg

DSCF3955_zps74c61813.jpg

I don't have a photo of the flower.

looks to me like what might happen if hamiltonii and alicae had a baby. Montana var. tomentosa maybe?

Last edited:

Bio

Plant Whisperer
I am no expert in rosetted Drosera, or any Drosera, but it looks South African to me. D. aliciae maybe. Or venusta.

Bio

Plant Whisperer
It doesn't look like venusta to me. My venusta has erect leaves and the only time the leaves droop is when they are dead. Maybe it is aliciae.

Like I said, I'm no expert. :p

Thank you, kulamauiman. It's just a little t5 HO, but it does the job. It's outside in the southern sun now, so maybe it will flower.

D. aliciae was my guess, too. And after looking at some photos of admirabilis and venusta, I still think it's aliciae. Guess I'll have to see what/if it flowers.

And yes, if it's some new strange spatulata it'll be spatuhaha lol!

Well crap. Now looking at those photos of D. admirabilis, I'm not so sure its aliciae anymore. If it helps, the photos don't show it, but it has a dark green almost forest green shade to the leaves.

It's certainly not aliciae. That species tends to have a slight, but noticeable widening at the tip of the leaf, like its relative D. slackii, but not as prominent. I'd still say it looks closer to one of the south American species, the leaf shape fits well.