What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft rejected a fly

Ok, so I ran around the other night and trapped a fly. Is that so crazy?  
wow.gif
 Then I put the active little guy in the freezer to slow it down, and later, after warming it a bit, dropped it on a trap, which closed immediately. But in the morning I noticed the trap had opened, obviously rejecting the fly. Why did it do that? The fly was fresh and the trap closed tightly over it.

And as I re-read this, chasing flies around and stashing them with the frozen vegetables does sound a little -- er -- eccentric.

cpwitch

Ok, are you sure the fly was moving around a lot.I think it moved around a bit(enough for the trap to "sort of" tighten).But that wasn't enough movement for the enzimes to be secreted.The fly must have died too quickly.Trust me on this one, happened to me when I fed my Giant VFT half dead spider.
smile.gif

I think uglypho may be right.  I have left flies in the freezer just a tad to long several times.  If the fly doesn't get up and move normally when it warms back up, it's being cooled too long.  Also, I stick the fly directly into the trap from the freezer and then trigger the trap closed to make sure it won't lose the fly.

alien.gif

The only time I feed my flytrap or any of my plants a fly is either if it is bugging me or my mom kills it with a flyswatter. The dead fly does not even twitch when I drop it into the trap, and yet it closes and seals usually within five-ten minutes. I have even had a trap to seal in 30 seconds.
alien.gif

The best thing to do is catch the fly in a window with a tissue and grab its wing with a pair of needlenosed pliers, easy.

Thanks all. The fly wasn't moving when I popped it in the trap, but the trap did trigger and close tightly and stayed that way all evening. I was surprised in the morning that it had opened. But perhaps as Uglypho said it did not trigger the enzymes to flow, thus making it think the prey had gotten away. So now I have to learn how to time how long the fly should be frozen -- or just keep the screen door open and let the plant catch a live one!

But it was great fun and very impressive to see that trap close so fast!

cpwitch

what i do to stimulate the trap when i feed then dead bugs is
1) put dead bug in the trap
2) stimulate the trap by make the buig move with a stick or somthing
3) when the trap closes startsqueezing the trap constanly at least 5 times every 3 seconds
4) this has worked for me and should wrok for you
5) have fun
tounge.gif

Back