What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My vft is turning.....frilly. o_o

I recently purchased another VFT from a local store, and was astounded by the very huge traps it had, so I figured it was a winner. It did look like it didn't have much light in its few weeks in the store, so I figured it would take some time to recoup into its uber self.

Now, the plant is grown some very large leafs with very small traps, likely as a way to make up for it not getting much light (which it is now). However, I saw something I'd never seen on a VFT before. The leaves are extremely wide and quite tall, and they look very frilly and wavy almost as if the outer edges have grown are larger proportional surface. All environmental factors are peachy keen. Is this a cause for concern? I'll put up a picture if I can.

Another quick question, is it a good thing if your VFT is turning a very deep green without any kind of redness in the traps? The plant was once kind of a yellowish lime color, but all the new leaves that have grown are very, very green. Logic would tell me that is an indication of it getting a lot of light, but I thought VFTs were supposed to get really red traps when that happens.

it sounds like your plant is becomming very healthy. one of my favorite plants are dark green with very wide leaves. im not sure of the exact reason FOR the wide wavey leaves, but its nothing to worry about at all! only certain types of VFTs turn red in the traps, some stay all green. it all depends. from what you've said, it sounds like you plant is growing just fine and will soon be turning out some beautiful traps soon.
smile.gif

Healthy? Don't be too sure. Deep green and wide wavy leaves with small traps is an indication of light deprivation. Increase its photoperiod in order to regain the large red traps on the stiff healthy yellow/green leaves.

And also increase the light intensity too. Photoperiod isn`t every thing you need alot of light too.

I'm working on getting one of those custom aquarium hoods that allows you to have 4 flourescent lights instead of just one. While my current light has the right K level, I can't find any of its size with a higher wattage than 15. Hopefully this will solve the problem of not enough light. I've also considered doing the aluminum foil deal to use the most of what light I have, but what good are spiffy plants if you can't see them?
smile_n_32.gif

At any rate, something new and odd has occured with one of my VFTs. The one with the large, frilly leaves is growing two types of leaves now. One type is your standard wide leaved deal, and another is some kind of strange spiraled leaf. It almost looks like one of those slides you see at water parks that go in circles. Any idea what would be causing this plant to be procuding such odd leaves along with normal ones?

Oh! It's changing...

Transforming....

Oh, no! It's...It's...

A TRIFFID!!!!!

smile_m_32.gif

I'm guessing that your stuff is doing well. I've been reading every forum I could find and there's lots of accounts of VFTs doing weird things when their homes change. Mine is only about three weeks old and has already (I think) split into 2 plants (it has 12 traps).

Back