What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My truncata is outside

superimposedhope

Somewhat Unstable
Well, as some may know, I have this very very stubborn truncata that just wilts and browns then sends a new leaf then wilts and browns again over and over. Each time I think cool it made it only to be disappointed again.
Soooo......, I decided since 1) it does not like the lowland chamber for some reason and 2) what could it hurt since it is in a wilt and brown stage again. We and I know some don't beleive this, have very humid summers here like never below 80% after June 1 and usually up to 100% during day as well as 90-100 deg.F. This should be an ok environment and if not OH WELL, this dagnabit plant has been written off so if it does something..... cool. It got a good thunderstorm tonight. It hides under my Ficus tree where its broken sun through the leaves and humid is higher (lots of moss around the tree).

Let's see what it does
smile.gif

Joe

I think that's a fine idea. If you feel like the plant is lost anyway, you may as well give it a shot, right? Let us know how it turns out....'Course, because truncata is slow as molases in January (at least mine was...before I killed it), I don't expect a report back until August or so....

Surprised your plant doesn't like the lowland chamber.. leads me to believe there is something wrong with the plants health as there is no reason it shouldn't like lowland conditions if it is healthy. Perhaps moving it outside will do some good and help cure whatever the problem is. If your feeling adventureous you might take it out of the pot and see what the roots are doing. I am guessing there is a problem down there based on your description of the plants growing pattern.

btw.. 100% humidity only occurs when there is precipitation actively falling from the sky. I still say you have a warped view of your local humidity but for kicks I will periodically compare your relative humidity to mine on the weatherchannel. This however doesn't have much to do with your success growing Nepenthes outside. I think it is deffinately a worthwhile adventure to try. Too many people opt to automatically toss these things into constantly dripping wet terrariums, when many Nepenthes don't really need to be.

Tony

Tony, I think I might take a look at the roots. The chamber seems in good condition, I had 1 mishap but otherwise it is constant hum. and temp. My bical is perfect so far and so is my merrilliana. Just the truncata is problematic.
Outside so far has been no worse, only 4 days now though.
100% is possible without rain although most likely it will rain at some point in the near future. We have several 100% days atleast so says the local TV station at those particular times. I cannot however find anyplace that shows avg. humidity from past years. Just watch weatherchannel.
smile.gif

Joe

Back