What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my sundew cant eat bugs

hi.

ive been growing a sundew for a couple months and ive got a question. every time my sundew catches an insect after a few days that tentacle turns brown and dies. i feel like my insects are poisonous. also im wondering if i should removes the dead tentacles or let them be. thanks

What is the name of the sundew? That you are growing.

Regards

I think he meant species name. for example: spatulata, capensis, etc.

What kinds of bugs does it catch? Some bugs, particularly ants, are acidic and will burn your plant's leaves. If you plant just can't muster the energy to digest bugs, then, as quoted by Professor Barry Rice on sarracenia.com,

So give them light!

If you give your plants enough light, simply put, they are more resilient.

It would help to know what type of sundew you have as care varies by species (tropical versus temperate, etc.). Also, a photo of the plant and letting us know your growing conditions (lighting, temps, humidity, growing inside or outside, etc.) would help the experienced growers on this forum to identify problems. It could be your sundew is in poor health and does not have the energy to digest food, it could be the size of the bugs it is catching, it could be normal for the species you have, lots of variables so providing more information will get you more responses and help. :-D

Did we intimidate him a bit:/

Back