What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my sting rays

• Thread starter machete
  • Start date
rays3.jpg

yup, rays are gorgeous!

Wow!  Machete, they are very nice looking rays...freshwater?  How big are they?  Do they have barbs?  I ask this because I once stepped on a ray while wading the flats down here.  That was not fun...very painful and the wound took months to heal.  The barbs have a toxic (not venomous) substance on them.  I still have the one the Docs cut out of the side of my foot.  If yours do have barbs...be careful.
By the way,  rays are the favorite food of many of the sharks down here and sometimes fish mongers unethically substitute the wing tips for scallops. Actually though they are very tasty and hard to tell from the real thing.

I think they are freshwater... and I think all rays have a nice nasty bacterial colony in their barbs, and that is what get's yeah... I hear some of them, if they get you in the gut where the infection can rapidly spread, can even kill you.

Fresh water rays are generably peaceable I think, unless you do something to aggrivate them (like step on them) but of course, careful handling is always advised... I don't know for sure, I only know what I have read.

these are fresh water. They eat from my hand, you would have to scare them or hurt them to get stung. I am almost positive that there is venom in the stinger, dont want to find out though. The Leopoldi (black and white polka dot one) is about 9-10" across. You can do the math with the big one
tounge.gif

rays1.jpg

couple of more pics. You can see some bichers in these pics. It looks like the ray is trying to eat one in the bottom pic.
rays2.jpg

Back