What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My seeds sprouted!

Wow, it worked! I have around five little Nep. seedlings that sprouted in live sphagnum moss. There may be more, its hard to tell, the moss is pretty thick. They are in a pot sealed in a plastic bag with bottom heat (propagation mat).

My question is, what do I do now? When do I move them from the plastic bag to a terrarium? When do I transplant? Do I transplant in the same media or something else? Maybe I should just let them grow in the moss and transplant when they get too big and crowded in the pot.

Any opinions on what to do next would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Allow them to keep growing until they are an inch or two across before trying to transplant them. This will allow them to get some decent roots. Enjoy.

Kim

Hi Glenn:

I would like to congratulate you on your new venture. I have a question though: what kind of nepenthes seeds are these and how long did it take them to germinate??.

Thanks

Gus

The seeds are N. (maxima x mixta) x mixta from the ICPS seedbank. It took about 3 weeks for the first signs of germination. It started with one little sprout emerging from a seed and over the next week or so, additional seeds sprouted.

When I transplant, I plan on using fertilizer free pre-mixed orchid medium (bark, charcoal, lava rock, etc.) mixed with some peat and LFS with a top dressing of live sphagnum moss. Anyone have any feedback on this? Should I just use pure LFS instead?

I have plants doing well in the above mentioned mix but I also have cuttings doing well in LFS.

Thanks again to everyone for the help.

Hi,

perhaps you should use some osmocote or any other slow-release fertilizer to support your seedlings. It will raise the growing speed much!

Good growing!
Jan

I have most of my nepenthes seedlings growing in chopped sphagnum. The others are in a peat/perlite mix with a top dressing of chopped sphagnum moss. Plants in pure sphagnum moss are doing the best.

Back