What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Redneck Terrarium

So I decided to take my plastic tub and give it an upgrade- country style. I would provide pictures, but not tonight. All I have is 3g for internet and it tends to be slow to upload pictures. Hopefully over the next few days I can.

I found an old phone charger with good power rating and used that to power up two DC computer fans wired in series. Eventually, it should evolve into a full AC system, but for now it very efficiently vents by sucking air in from the side and then sucking it back out the front.

I gave the fans an extra edge by strategically using bottomless plastic cups as couplings or reverse turbines to increase and direct the air flow.

I bought two smaller plastic containers that had clear lids. O.O I figured out that by turning them sideways, I was able to create a lid on the big one with both of them. Not perfect, but it seems to work. Even allows for a little airflow.

The plastic tub itself I treated with aluminum foil first, placing it on three sides.Not the front though, so I can see in. I then put down a layer of thoroughly rinsed dried spaghnum moss, pea pebbles, and more spaghnum moss. All together its about an Inch thick. I figured that would help with humidity. And it does. :D

The fans work well too. My terrarium can reach 90*, but so far they seem to keep it at 85 and under, which Is great since the lights are so close now. Some more tuning up needed, but I think I am pretty close to creating a nice, albeit somewhat ugly, little DIY terrarium.

All I have in there right now are two Binata, a capensis and a capenais x spatulata. They seem to like it so far but we will see over the next few days.

Just wanted to share my success. :) Advice is always welcome.

Last edited:
Lol, either/or. I used some duct tape as well :D But, hey, I made it for like $15.

Back