What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My poor VFT's

Well, I live in a very warm environment so I have to refrigerate the VFT's to get dormancy. This is the first time since I was a child that I have tried to grow them. I got a 'B-52' variety from a charity auction, then a 'Red Piranha' for the holidays. They were doing so well before dormancy. The 'B-52' turned into complete mush. I guess the soil was too wet when going into dormancy. The 'Red Piranha' seems to be forming a new trap, so I hope it will be ok. I am just saddened that my 'B-52' has bit the dust. I guess I will have to watch out for another this year. :-(

I will try to post pictures of the 'Red Piranha' after the first trap opens. :D

Sorry to hear about your 'B52'. Those are a wonderful cultivar once they are mature enough to start showing off what they can do growth-wise.

Yes, too much moisture while dormant can do a Venus Flytrap in.

Root drying is another killer. I repotted one flytrap and watched it slowly die. The autopsy revealed that I had failed to repack the medium (sand and peat moss) sufficiently around the roots. Thus there was a hollow space and at some point the roots must have dried out. Since the plant was just coming out of dormancy I didn't keep much in the way of standing water.

Sorry to hear about your B52. It sounds like your Red Piranha is going to do well though.

I'm going to try to get B52 going in tissue culture soon, so if I have any success maybe we can work out a trade.

Thanks for the offer, but I just broke down and ordered a division of a "mother" plant. I should have it mid next week. :D

Back