What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My poor sars!

schloaty

Staff member
Man, oh man! It's tough living in NY! It JUST got warm enough to put my sars outside, and what happens? They got absolutely FLATTENED by torrential rains! All the pitchers are flooded, flopped over, and some even "broke!" grrrrrrrr.

Anyone else with experience know if this will have any delliterious effects on my sars?

Thanks,
-Dave

When I first started back into CP's, I would bring my plants out of dormancy by keeping them indoors for the spring and part of the summer. I discovered that when I grew plants indoors, they grew to taller, but were less robust, ie. they were more likely to fall over from wind and rain. Now, I grow all my Sarr's outdoors. They may not be as tall, but they are much tougher!

</span><table border="0" align="center" width="95%" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tr><td>Quote (schloaty @ June 02 2003,10:11)</td></tr><tr><td id="QUOTE">Man, oh man!  It's tough living in NY!  It JUST got warm enough to put my sars outside, and what happens?  They got absolutely FLATTENED by torrential rains!  All the pitchers are flooded, flopped over, and some even "broke!"  grrrrrrrr.  

Anyone else with experience know if this will have any delliterious effects on my sars?

Thanks,
-Dave[/QUOTE]<span id='postcolor'>
Mine got hammered a few weeks back--rain, wind, and hail.

I put in a stake, and wrapped a wire around them to prop them back up--even the "broken" ones are still alive and catching bugs. the only ones that have died were those I left prone on the sphagnum.

So prop 'em--the extra water inside them will eventually disappear, and the leaves will go back to their twin functions of looking very pretty and dealing out an absolutely horrible death to a bunch of innocent animals.

Steve

It is not just NY. I live in N. California and on Saturday we had a torrential hail storm that not only flattened, but pulverized my new tender Sarracenia pitchers. The old pitchers that overwintered were not greatly affected but the new growth is now in little pieces. The plants will recover, but I expect that this year's crop of pitchers will be somewhat affected.

Back