What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My plants took a fall

Well, my plants took a beating after a 60 mph wind broke my growth rack mini greenhouse.  My greenhouse has four racks that stack on top of each other and a vinyl cover.  I had it anchored to the ground with four stakes and some rope.  This prevented it from sailing across the yard, but the wind caused it to break between second and third racks.  So everything on the top two racks fell about 3 feet to the ground.  As they fell they dump tons of water and dirt onto the plants beneath them. I had eight mature sarrs and a flowering sensitive plant on the top racks.  On the bottom two racks i had a ping, three sundews, a purp, 11 Vfts and about 12 grab bag sarrs.  Most of these were okay and were still sitting on the racks.  However my three pots of vfts were somehow  dumped and i was only able to find 6 of them.  So my total loss right now is 5 vfts.

After the nasty looking storm passed i went out to fix up my plants.  Most of the mature sarrs looked pretty good.  Most had fallen out of their pots but the root ball and pitchers looked good.  I think they're going to make it but i doubt they'll do much more growing this season.  The sensitive plant has seen better days but i think it will pull through too.  The vfts looked ok but i'm not sure they'll make it.  Many are missing roots.  I repotted everything the best i could, and then i sprayed them off with some ro water that had superthrive in it.  I also soaked the soil down.  Currently the plants are sitting in the barn.  I hope our crazy cats leave them alone.  Most of the plants don't have water trays since these blew throughout the yard.  My dad helped me track down quite a few but i'm still missing some.  I'll look for them in the morning.  Does anyone have any suggestions about what i can do for my plants that fell?  Thanks.

-buckeye

We also had a nice strong storm go through last night around 6:10PM. I got home from work just as the high winds hit the van and made driving a bit difficult.

When I got home, I ran out to bring my plants indoors to keep the table they are on from blowing over and smashing the plants to the ground and to help keep the tall Sarracenia from blowing over, some still did while I was moving them. During my moving, a vented cover on my terrarium lifted up in the strong winds and flew right into my face. I got a bloody nose, two small cuts and a bit of a headache from it. My glasses got flatened againt my face, I had to bend them back into shape. If I had not been wearing my glasses, I am sure I would have a large cut across my nose. I saw the lid fly up, but I was so close and had plants in my hand that I couldn't even do anything about it. I think I scared my neighbors when I yelled out. All the frustrations of the days work on top of being hit in the face did not make my yell pleasant.

I hope your plants recover. Those were some horrid storms with winds topping 70mph.

The plants that fell can be put back into their pots and kept in the same conditions they were in. They should recover and produce new leaves. If the plants were knocked out of their pots and the roots severed, those plants may take a long time to recover. If the root systems are intact and the rhizomes are in good shape, I wouldn't worry too much. My dog has taken to knocking a small Sarracenia plant off the table a few times a week. So far, the plant has not lost any leaves and is still growing well. However, it always seems to land on its side and not top down.

That happend to my vft once
sad.gif
**R.I.P**vft i had a good funeral for him.Oh and my Cat ate my first vft.

we also had a big (though short) storm last night here in missouri.

I just finished getting my plants back in order. They're back in the greenhouse now. They look surprisingly great. None of the pitchers are even broken! I was very fortunate because it could have been much worse. I found 2 more water trays this morning. I think i only lost about 3 in the wind and 3 more that i found are cracked. I also noticed one of my smaller glazed pots is cracked. It had some vfts in it. One corner of the vinyl greenhouse cover tore but it's not bad.

I think this was the worst storm of the summer. A fair near where i live was also hit hard last night. Most of the tents were blown around. They were forced to close until cleanup could be completed. I hope no one got hurt.

-buckeye

where are you at that the storm hit so hard? My wife knows how much I love my cps and at the slightest hint of a storm or wind, she puts them on the lower deck where they are pretty safe.

Hi mcrwt644,

I live in central Ohio; about 50 miles straight north of Columbus. The storm, i believe, came out of Michigan traveling southeast and gained strength as it came though my county. The county east (where the fair was) and the county south of me got hammered even harder than my county did. This whole year has been full of crazy weather for Ohio!!

-buckeye

Back