What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I recently got my first ping, a P. primuliflora from the Carnivorous Plant Starter Set on this site, and it seemed to be doing alright. I watered with distilled, and it occupied a good spot on an east-facing windowsill. After a few weeks however, the leaves started wilting heavily. Today I gave a leaf a poke, and it came right off of the stalk! About two thirds of the leaves are this loose, and the flower bud it was shooting up has started to give up also.

Pretty much all of the leaves are half-dead from the tip in. I pulled off three more leaves in addition to the one already off, and made emergency leaf cuttings, which are on top of sphagnum peat in an airtight plastic bag. I think the whole plant's going to turn into one big leaf cutting soon...

If the cuttings don't work, and I lose the plant, I was wondering if anyone has any spare Ping seed they'd be willing to mail me. I really don't care what type, but I'd prefer something easy, given my experience with my current plant.

I'm afraid the only thing that I can give in return is the extremely rare, coveted, long-sought Drosera capensis typical form. All the other plants I bought in the starter set are still too young to make seed or cuttings, but they're all pretty common anyway. I'd also like some directions or tips on how to get Pinguicula seed started.

Didn't your prim have plantlets growing off the leaf tips?  Usually there is no problem keeping a prim as they reproduce rather prolifically off the leaves.

You are more likely to find someone with baby plantlets than seeds.  I doubt you will need them though...your leaves will probably make new plantlets.

I grow my primulifloras very wet...almost floating.

BTW...if you have prim cultivation questions or seed questions, you'd be better off posting to the Ping Forum.
smile.gif

Alright, thanks. When I first got the ping, it had little leaflets growing under the "umbrella" of bottom leaves. I removed these with tweezers, put them root-down in the medium, but they soon got all soggy and wilted. I'll see if my cuttings survive. This kind of ping seems to propagate itself pretty easily from the stuff I've read on these forums.

Back