What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My pet parakeet update

Hey, if anyone remembers, a couple months ago I got a pet parakeet, my first bird as a pet. So I thought I'd update, plus I have some questions. Anyway he's doing fine and I've started to start some intense training. I'm on step 2. It's on www.lisashea.com . Anyway the training is doing pretty good he's been making some great progress and I've been spending the past few days spoiling him with hand made treats/toys. He's loving it and it works as a really good reward for him. But there's one thing that's been bugging me. I already know that he's a weird bird by the way he acts. But whenever he fluffs up and sits still he only stands on one leg and he tucks the other on into his fluff. It looks really cute but I'm wondering if he's got something wrong with him. I've seen him cleaning a certain claw/tallon/whatever frequently and it's the one that he doesn't stand on when he fluffs up and rests. The thing that really has me stumped is that he doesn't show any other signs of pain (although it's not a good way to check concidering they hardly show any minor pain because predators target injured prey, so they need to hide their pain to keep from being the target.) I've also seen him switch claws when he's standing on one leg. Sometimes it's the right one, sometimes it's the left. But it's usually the right one and then if I swoop in to get a closer look he switches. Is he really THAT smart? Smart enough to trick me? He switches a lot. Does he just have a little bit of flamingo in him or do you think one of his claws is hurting?

Even birds need to rest
smile.gif

I wouldn't worry about it. My roommate's parakeets both do that, although not as often as it sounds like yours does. Parakeets are strange; they like to do things to show off and fool around, and standing on one leg seems to be one of the little habits they pick up. I doubt that he's injured, but if he were, you wouldn't know unless it were severe. Birds are very concious of their appearance to other creatures and they'll hide signs of illness and injury until it's very bad. It's a frustrating part of keeping a bird, but you can chalk it up to them being very clever critters. In any case, you've got nothing to worry about. However, if you don't yet have an avian vet for the guy then you should find one, just so you'll know where to go when he needs a checkup and such.
How old is he? I take it if you got him a few months ago he's probably still in his first year or so. Perfect time for talking training! My roommate and I have been working with his younger bird on saying, "Heeeere kitty kitty kitty!" and meowing, and he took to it quite well. The younger bird even taught the other one to say. "kiiiiiitty." If you're consistent and enthusiastic about it you'll get the best results, it seems. Birds love to make noise, so that's a good way to reward talking - just talk louder and make more noise, and they'll follow along. Birds are a lot of fun.
~Joe

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]But whenever he fluffs up and sits still he only stands on one leg and he tucks the other on into his fluff

normal perch- roosting behavior, many birds commonly do it, amoung them canaries, flamingos, and a good number of them. It is presumed to be a instinct that helps conserve body heat on cold nights in the wild, but domesticaed birds bring this behavior, as with others, into captivity.

Ok so I've got nothing to worry about, good. And yes I'm pretty sure he's in his first year. I've deeply concidered, after I finish regular training I'm going to teach him to make all sorts of noises. Meowing is one thing I'm (oddly enough) good at so I'll be able to teach him that easily. I say kitty a lot too becuase my one cat gets in my room all the time. She's a sneaky little bugger. She's smart too so she waits outside for me to open the door then dives under my dresser. Anyway, thanks for the help and all.

Back